Bow as melee?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Bow as melee?

Post by Thrawn »

This probably is superflous, buit i think that giving some units a melle bow attack would be interesting.
It could give some elves an impact attack, ad possibly slow, as in tripping/ entagling units with the bowstring.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
stormoog

Post by stormoog »

Maybe... but what would that accomplish? (no irony here) (really)
Amor omnia vincit.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Tripping/entangling an enemy with a bowstring would almost certainly result in the bowstring breaking. Is that what an archer would really want?

The same would happen if you started using the bow to hit people - it would snap in half.

There's a reason that historically, archers would have daggers with them - the dagger would defend them much better than hitting someone with a bow would. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
stormoog

Post by stormoog »

How about a bow that doubles as a spear then? Surely, such weapons must have existed?
Amor omnia vincit.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

If you can find historical evidence of such weapons existing (images from a book/reliable online source), I'll believe you, but that seems doubtful.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

turin wrote:If you can find historical evidence of such weapons existing (images from a book/reliable online source), I'll believe you, but that seems doubtful.
Irrelevant of the realism of bows as weapons (as an archer I find it hard to believe that bows would ever be used as melee weapons), how does this benefit gameplay?
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
stormoog

Post by stormoog »

Irrelevant of the realism of bows as weapons (as an archer I find it hard to believe that bows would ever be used as melee weapons), how does this benefit gameplay?
I once saw a bow/spear in a not-that-realistic movie. I always thought the bow/spear would be possible in reality, but now I think of it I doubt that a (stiff) spear could deliver enough energy.

(edit)
The question is not if a bow could be used as a spear (it cannot), but if you could attach a string to a spear and make it into a bow.
(/edit)

I agree the whole thing doesn't really benefit gameplay.
Amor omnia vincit.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

There has been weird weapons developed in history, so it may be possible, but i don't think someone would use a bow as an impact weapon, or even to entangle someone ( depending on the bow, the string can be quite strong ), that would defeat the purpose of the bow making it useless as a ranged weapon
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
stormoog

Post by stormoog »

If a spearman could use his spear to fire arrows as long as the enemy is not close enough to use it 'properly', you have to agree it would be better than nothing. It's not like an archer charging at someone with his bow.
Amor omnia vincit.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Of course i would prefer a hand crossbow with a bayonette (spelling?) coming out of the wooden arch.

But...would this accomplish anything else than imagery?.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
lz1kwk

Post by lz1kwk »

i like your idea