Dark Magic

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Assasin

Dark Magic

Post by Assasin »

This may have been proposed before, but why isn't there dark magic for the undead? I mean, there is Holy, shouldn't there be Unholy or something? The only attack against it is cold, and that doesn't make sense, to me.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Attila

Post by Attila »

I don't think there's a need for an "unholy" attack type, because the only unit that uses cold and does not mean it as "unholy" or darkness is the elvish slyph line.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

This not only 'may have been proposed before', but I'm pretty sure it has been proposed after you joined the forums, and you even took part in the discussion.

Basically, it may or may not be a good idea, but it doesn't seem all that necessary. Cold makes a good sustitute for it.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Belwar

Post by Belwar »

the dark magic doesnt make any sence to have because then you would have to change the weakness's of certain races to where they are weak agains unholy. in other words this would just add more work to the already strained desighners.
Bivrip!!

plese do not yell at me for any misspelled errors!
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

thank's Belwar, I knew I could count on you..... :irritated:

Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I would have liked to see dark/unholy/corrupt/dawawrf in game for a long time, I forgot which arguements against it where; I think something like unneeded complexity as cold functions just fine.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
scott

Post by scott »

I think shadow magic (details as proposed by Jetryl) is still a pretty good idea. However, this late in the development stage would it be too much trouble to change the whole game? Rebalancing most campaigns and multiplayer (since it would be an undead thing)? A new damage type is an appropriate x.0 release feature, meaning it can probably wait.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Actually, what I would like to see is it implemented, but at first be made identical to cold (as in, everyone has the same resistances to cold as they do to shadow/dark/whatever). But, for example, nagas and mermen would be made to not have resistance to dark, but to have resistance to cold, and the same with the yeti. And the drakes wouldn't be weak to dark, but they would be weak to cold. It wouldn't be a big enough change to unbalance the game a whole lot (especially since probably only 2-3 units would get shadow/dark/whatever at first), but it would IMHO improve the game...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Belwar

Post by Belwar »

i agree with scott. i think that shadow magic would be too difficult to introduce this late in the development stage. however if it were implemented a good use for it would be to give it to the undead and the dark elves (if they are ever accepted) and the cold magic to the orcs if they have magic. ( im unfimmilar with orcs)
Bivrip!!

scott

Post by scott »

Maybe if it were identical to cold it wouldn't be too bad. Good point.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

scott wrote:Maybe if it were identical to cold it wouldn't be too bad. Good point.
Yeah, the idea is to be able to let people use cold as cold magic, not cold as evil magic.

There is no sense in the current undead vs. drakes resistance circle. It's bizarre.
It's an artificial contrivance based on our unnecessarily simple damage set.

If any two races should be natural enemies, it should be the mermen and the drakes.
Water vs. Fire.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Jetryl wrote:If any two races should be natural enemies, it should be the mermen and the drakes.
Water vs. Fire.
Mermen: Tridents with Pierce, Cold magic.
Drakes: Um, fire, blade, pierce, and impact? Mermen don't have any resistances anyway...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Belwar

Post by Belwar »

This reminds me of assasins burn idea :) . the mermen couldn't do anything because drakes fly. the mermen would have to come onto land to attack. it does make sense for mermen to have cold, but it doesn't make much sense for the mermen to have their own faction. they are limited to the water, they suck on the ground. that is why they are alied with the loyalists and rebels.
Bivrip!!

Assasin

Post by Assasin »

I still think Burn was an awsome idea, but unfortunatly it died out. Mermen aren't developed enough to have their own faction. Nagas have a better chance against Drakes then Mermen.

egbert

Post by egbert »

No, I think it's balanced as it is. And why would somebody be weak against unholy???

I mean, all the fantasy things I know about say that holy water hurts bad things, if a witch steps into a church bad dthings will happen. Holy things are bad for evil things.

However, evil is not extra bad to good things... I mean, if a priest steps into a satanic temple he doesn't get defiled.

That's my argument.