A few ideas

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Casual User

A few ideas

Post by Casual User » April 28th, 2005, 3:34 pm

Session's over, and I have had a little bit more time to play Wesnoth. I have had a few ideas that might be interesting for the game, just tell me what you think.

1. The characteristic loyal has been removed from the game, and I think it's too bad, but I also think it was ill-defined. Here's an idea: loyal would still be availabe as a trait, but only in campaign games. What it would do would be to reduce the cost of recalling the unit in question, say 10 gold pieces instead of 20. I don't know how feasible it is, it just seems in character.

2. Neutral units have been discussed, but I have an idea on the subject: why not have a pre-scripted "neutral" side in all maps. The neutral side would have no leader and no castle, and the AI would be very simple: neutral units are ennemies of all, they remain motionless unless an unit comes close enough to move and attack it in the same turn (maybe only if unit is of the same or inferior level to the neutral one) in which case they attack. Most neutral units would be level 0. We could have wolves in forests, militias (moves 0) in villages all the way up to rogue dragons in ancient caves (of course, using them would be up to the scenario's maker)! It seems useful, in character and rather simple to code.

3. Siege engines. People will scream at me, but I think they would be useful. I have thought of three:

Ballista
level 2, no advancement
60 HP
Ballista bolt, piercing(40-1), magical (ranged)

Catapult
level 3, no advancement
70 HP
Boulder, impact(50-1), magical (ranged)

Cannon
level 4, no advancement
80 HP
Cannonball, fire(60-1), magical (ranged)

I don't know how much they would cost, their defenses should be really bad but their resistances high. The idea is that they would be very expensive units you would recruit without hope of advancement, that dish a lot of damage in range but are useless in hand to hand and which would be useful against entrenched ennemies because they have highly accurate attacks.

Thanks for reading and sorry about the long post!

romnajin

Post by romnajin » April 28th, 2005, 5:54 pm

Would 2 possibly originate from warcraft 3?

I personally like 3, but it seems feasible only for scenario, not campaign, use.

1 I like, but I don't think others will.
Sorry for the meaningless post

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager » April 28th, 2005, 8:21 pm

romnajin wrote:Would 2 possibly originate from warcraft 3?
No. The idea is not from warcraft. Period. Everything Warcraft made was stolen from something else. Nothing originates from it.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.

Casual User

Post by Casual User » May 4th, 2005, 3:05 pm

Thanks for the one (real) reply.

1. Why do you think others won't like the idea? Just out of curiousity.

2. I doubt the idea came from Warcraft 3 seeing as how I've never played Warcraft 3 (and Elvish pillager seems to dislike it).

3. Maybe, but I do think they could be recruitable by some players; maybe dwarves? It would give them some diversity and I imagine dwarves as being mechanically gifted.

Hey, I managed not to write a long post!

Jetrel
Art Director

Post by Jetrel » May 4th, 2005, 5:22 pm

With regards to so-called neutral sides, I've always thought that a map with a unique type of actually reasonably powerful enemies that spawned at a certain central location would be cool.

This would be coded per-map, but imagine something like gryphon mountain, except with less "easy-to-annihilate" neutrals, and with no leader for them, and constant spawning of them. They keep spawning and you can't stop them from spawning. In fact, if you really play badly, they might come and kill your leader.

A swamp map could have some sort of sludge-monsters (neo made at least one unit that would work well for this).

The idea would be, perhaps, to have them protect a shortcut which would allow easy access to the other players, or perhaps a circle of villages, but which you would have to be creative to deal with.

Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave » May 4th, 2005, 6:30 pm

Neutrals are a good idea -- and are already used in some places; e.g. Gryphon Mountain, Ford of Abez.

The one thing that is important when scenario designers use them, imho, is to make them a legitimate challenge rather than yet another way to milk experience.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming