More than one attack special

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
khamul

More than one attack special

Post by khamul »

According to the Wiki, an attack can only have one 'special' - e.g. poison, magical, marksman, etc: http://wesnoth.slack.it/?AbilitiesWML

Is there a reason for this limitation?

Obviously magical and marksman would never need to be combined, but it's not unreasonable to combine poison and marksman, or perhaps first-strike and charge?

I'm not arguing that there should be units in the main game with 2 specials on their attack, but it seems that by restricting it to one, we're unnecessarily limiting what can be done in user campaigns, etc.

Is there a significant coding problem?
stillnotelf

Post by stillnotelf »

I think it would be interesting to give, say, level 4 Gwiti a ranged magical/plague attack. I'd guess that the reason none exist is that it's simply been deemed too powerful to bother with.

(Actually as a side note, it is unreasonable to combine charge and first strike--The former is active only on offense, the latter only on defense. I have no idea if there's a coding reason.)
Usque adeone mori miserum est? After all, there's always a continue...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

combining first-strike and charge is not unreasonable; the first-strike would basically make it so units defending with first-strike didn't.

I do want this implemented, because I want to add to one of my campaigns a poison, marksman, 8-1 attack. >)

But no one has ever made it possible, unfortunately.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

It would be really cool for people who want to make "super units" as enemies for campaigns that resolve around something other than large hp and damage.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

It also helps in many cases, as with Magical + Other Abilities, to add a new ability while avoiding both clutter and violating RIPLIB.

It also adds potential for other cool stuff, such as a weak attack with first strike and Slow.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

It's too hard to make a cheat unit. In EVN, you can make a small little fighter as great as you want, it can even carry Ravens, which are the biggest ship in the whole game. I want to do something like that on Wesnoth.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
RequiemOfReason

Post by RequiemOfReason »

I agree... we need to be able to but multiple abilities on an attack... but imagine this...

Kick ass
Long Range
Fire
Magical, Poison, Plague, First Strike, backstab
40-30

(I've never played Nova... but I loved making uber ships in the first two... my favorite trick was setting the recharge time to 1 so any damage heals just about instantly)
Reality is an escape for people who can't face dreams...
And no, that's not by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

RequiemOfReason wrote:(I've never played Nova... but I loved making uber ships in the first two... my favorite trick was setting the recharge time to 1 so any damage heals just about instantly)
Play nova. Seriously. EV: Override was just a new scenario for EV - it wasn't a real sequel (think Marathon 2 and Marathon infinity).

EV Nova was as much of an improvement over Escape Velocity as Marathon Rubicon was over Marathon 1. Or Quake versus doom. Not only did it have a much better game engine, blah blah blah, but the world was much bigger, and the plot was much more involved.

At times that game felt like a role playing game. Which is awesome.

A mark of skill in EV Nova is if you can kill a Krypt pod with nothing but a shuttlecraft - AND WITHOUT CHEATING. I dare you. :twisted:
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

Wait.....you've done that? With what upgrades? Two hits from them and you're toast!

SyKnEt

Post by SyKnEt »

Jetryl wrote:A mark of skill in EV Nova is if you can kill a Krypt pod with nothing but a shuttlecraft - AND WITHOUT CHEATING. I dare you. :twisted:
Can i make it with a awesome space booster and many powerful guns ? :lol:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

SyKnEt wrote: Can i make it with a awesome space booster and many powerful guns ? :lol:
You need an afterburner, and as many of those guns the aurorans use as you can fit. Piss the thing off, and then RUN. Turn after you achieve maximum velocity, and fire at it for all you are worth.
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

I'm gonna have to try that, very soon. Then I truly will be the best Nova pilot there is! Too bad they don't make an Massivly-Online-Role-Playing-Game of Escape Volocity: Nova

MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Nova was a good game playwise, but IMO, the Vell-os must GO.

As for your challenge: destroy a Krypt Pod in a Dart, and THEN you'll be a master pilot. And you can't have a Storm Chaingun or a QLBC turret.

As for myself, I suck. I can't even live a half hour without cheating.

When I cheated, I got myself an IDA Frigate, and lobbed every upgrade money can buy onto it. Or, I just give myself a fully loaded Raven and be done with it.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
RequiemOfReason

Post by RequiemOfReason »

Well, as of forty seconds ago I'm downloading Nova. With my incredibly slow connection, I expect to have downloaded the full 75 mb by about midnight. (It's going at about 8.4 kbps right now) Three questions:
1) Do you need to register EVN to get all the stuff? I ask because I'm a steriotypical Scotsman. (Read- cheap).
2) What's a good ship for early on? (Remember the Crescent Fighter? Good times...)
3) Isn't this board supposed to be about Wesnoth?
Reality is an escape for people who can't face dreams...
And no, that's not by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Arthelorn

Post by Arthelorn »

I can answer your questions, As I own Nova

1. Yes, you do need to register to get the best stuff. The six major mission strings all have a cut off point which you can't get any further without registering. All really good stuff is beyond those points. That, and no total conversions without it. Cap'n Hector will hound you endlessly if you don't register. It's $30 to register.
2. In my opinion, rush to get a Starbridge ASAP. Those, if outfitted right, can take on some really heavy capital ships like Pirate Carriers and Manticores.
3. Yes, yes it is. Can some mod split this talk about Escape Velocity to Off Topic?