[interface] you should be able to load your last campaign save from the campaign selector page

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
whyn

[interface] you should be able to load your last campaign save from the campaign selector page

Post by whyn »

I think loading your campaign is tedious especially if you havent played a certain campaign and its burried under other saves so as a solution i think it would be helpful to be able to access campaign-saves from the campaign menu so when you click on the campaign for "under burning suns" you can access the most recent "under burning suns"-saves from there.
EarthCake

Re: [interface] you should be able to load your last campaign save from the campaign selector page

Post by EarthCake »

You can search for the saves. Just write abbreviation of that campaign and you will be able to find them. (In your case it is UtBS - Under the Burning Suns). By the way, you are able to access them without this.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Re: [interface] you should be able to load your last campaign save from the campaign selector page

Post by WhiteWolf »

Well, many game menus nowadays look like this:
  • Continue
  • New Game
  • Load Save
So that you can save yourself some clicks if you just want to continue your most recent save. I'm not saying Wesnoth should definitely follow this style, but it could be an improvement.
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

WhiteWolf wrote: September 1st, 2019, 6:20 pm So that you can save yourself some clicks if you just want to continue your most recent save.
:hmm: Could we implement this by opening the Load Game dialog and hiding some savefiles from the list? For example, if my most recent savefile is an autosave at S2, it could hide the other autosaves for that scenario and all saves of previous scenarios in the same campaign. This way, if I have two SP playthroughs going on, I'd see immediately the most recent savefile from each.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

I still think that the idea in the original post is aimed for the feel of starting the game, hitting the top "Continue" box in the main menu, and immediately pick up where you left off. And if you want to go back to an earlier point, then you'll browse your saves. However, Wesnoth is not a single 200+ hour story mode playthrough, so I'm not sure if this option is that necessary.
Having the option to show only the most recent save per campaign could be nice though, it hides some unecessary information from casual players, and could tidy up the window for players with many old saves.
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

WhiteWolf wrote: September 2nd, 2019, 5:20 pm I still think that the idea in the original post is aimed for the feel of starting the game, hitting the top "Continue" box in the main menu, and immediately pick up where you left off. And if you want to go back to an earlier point, then you'll browse your saves. However, Wesnoth is not a single 200+ hour story mode playthrough, so I'm not sure if this option is that necessary.
Having the option to show only the most recent save per campaign could be nice though, it hides some unecessary information from casual players, and could tidy up the window for players with many old saves.
That would make a problem if the most recent autosave/save is multiplayer. In that case you will again have to scroll. Perhaps this can ignore multiplayer?
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Sure, I was definitely thinking about singleplayer only.