Idea about shadow magic

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Monkey

Idea about shadow magic

Post by Monkey »

I think shadow magic should replace the undead's cold magic because I believe that every element should have an oposite, so shadow would be the oposite do light. And this way mermaids and nagas wouldnt be so strong against undead magic.
This is the way I think it should be:
All units that are 20% stronger to holy would be -20% weaker to shadow. And undead units would still be -100% weaker to holy, but would be imune to shadow (100% defense).
I'm not a number, I'm a free monkey
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Not quite. Upon close inspection, you will find that darkness is not the opposite of light, rather it is merely the abscence of it.

REAL darkness would be cast, just like light from a lamp, and would actively chase away light.

This is analogous to comparing protons and electrons, which are not opposites.

Real opposites would be electrons and positrons.

Besides the point, that wasn't quite what I had suggested for shadow damage. Shadow damage would be something that everyone except the dark adept line would be neither weak nor resistant to.

It would just be pervasive.

I do think that the undead should be just as vulnerable to it as others, since necromancers should have the power to dispel their rivals' creations.

The dark adept line would be relatively resistant to it, increasing with level. I don't think the white mage line should have any special resistance or weakness to it - the undead's weakness to holy magic is enough of an advantage already - a level3 mage of light will usually prevail against a level3 lich.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

Your ideas are interesting, but I still think that undead like skeletons should be stronger to shadow, because the absense of light should not harm them.
dms

Post by dms »

I don't see how every damage type can have an opposite. What's the opposite of blade?
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

Blade is a phisical attack, but the magic ones are based on elements, and each element has it's oposite.
This is a concept that was created by the naturalistic greek philosofers, the ones the came up with the idea of the five elements, and it's been used in many places during history, even in ciêncific researches during medieval time. Although we now realize the concept it's wrong, it is used in fantasy histories and rpg games.
Oh, and oriental philosofy also created this idea of everything having an oposite.
Myself I believe it's all the same thing, but it's sensed different accordingly to the person who is sensing it. Like cold and heat, they are both molecules movement, but depending on the movements of the molecules of the person's body they are felt differently. So cold and fire is the same thing. Shadow and Light would be also the same thing, light and absense of light. That's why I liked Jetryl's idea.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Monkey wrote:Shadow and Light would be also the same thing, light and absense of light.
Um... but how can the abscense of light hurt anything?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

IIRC, the purpose of shadow damage is to make it so nagas are not so resistant to undead magic. Now, does it have any other purposes? I don't think that purpose alone is enough to get it in-game.
Elvish Pillager wrote:
Monkey wrote:Shadow and Light would be also the same thing, light and absense of light.
Um... but how can the abscense of light hurt anything?
Well, it disrupts photosynthesis, so perhaps its extraordinarily damaging to woses... >)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

Shadow magic should be thought of as a blight on the soul rather than a physical type of damage. It solves the problem of not being the opposite of light (except metaphorically) and explains why undead could be resistant while naga and other normal living beings are not. As previously suggested, if drain attacks were shadow magic, then it would be a perfect fit.

I already broke my promise today to only issue Old Flame War Revival Alerts!
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

Exactly, it's like a human sould is made of light, so if you remove the light from it he will die. If you give it light it will heal. And since undead doesn't have souls shadow wouldn't harm them.
And necromancers aren't imune to shadow, because they are still humans and have a soul, in reply for Jetryl's comment:
I do think that the undead should be just as vulnerable to it as others, since necromancers should have the power to dispel their rivals' creations.
Necromancy is bringing corpses to life, it has nothing to do with shadow magic. So the necromancer may be able to dispell a creation (theorically just as he is able to summon one), but he is not able to destroy it with darkness magic.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

and more: Drain will not work on udead. It's unreal a bat sucking blood of a wraith for example.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Monkey wrote:and more: Drain will not work on udead. It's unreal a bat sucking blood of a wraith for example.
It already doesn't....
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

:lol:
Sorry for the meaningless post
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

I was playing TDH now and I'm tought it did, are you sure?
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Undead are immune to poison, drain, plus their good resistances.
Sorry for the meaningless post
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

Well... I think that instead of 'Shadow' damage type it should be 'Unholy' damage type
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.