Roll call for voice acting of Descent into Darkness

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
The_Gnat

Re: Roll call for voice acting of Descent into Darkness

Post by The_Gnat »

Here is the script that max_torch was asking for, for the English version of DiD. Could everyone let me know what voices they want to do before we start so we don't double-record any of the sounds.

There are 3 main roles to voice act in the first scenario. :D

Malin - Of course the primary is Malin the main character (his text I have show below in pink).
Drogan - The second is the village leader who is not in future scenarios until much later (colored in green).
Narrator - The third is the narrator who plays a minor role throughout the rest of the campaign, he/she is shown in blue.

Also there is a soldier who says 1 line.
Scenario 1
Narrator - "Malin, troubled by his father’s death, argues to no avail that Darken Volk be allowed to stay to help defend the town. The necromancer leaves Parthyn without incident"

Narrator - "Several weeks pass..."

Drogan - "Although I dislike sending a raiding party out so early, they should clear out the orc encampments and leave us a relatively quiet summer."

Malin - "So much for quiet, Drogan. Orcs mass north of the river!"

Drogan - "Curse them! You must hold the river fort, Malin, or they shall surely overrun the town. I will bring what soldiers remain to your aid. The raiding party is due to return in two days, and the orcs will not dare fight with such a force attacking from behind."

---

Drogan - "What in blazes is that thing? Has the necromancer returned?"

Malin - "No, Drogan. I raised this corpse with the skills Darken Volk taught to me before he left. While I have no love for it, without the help of the dead we consign ourselves and our families to orcish stewpots! Surely you can see that!"

Drogan - "No benefit is worth the price of defiling the bodies of our dead! You have been very close-mouthed about why the mages sent you home from Alduin; if it was for dabbling in such arts, it is no wonder they cast you out!"

Malin - "No! No... it was nothing like that... But I will not stand by and allow the orcs to destroy my home while I have the skills to prevent it!"

---

Narrator - "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering"

---

Drogan - "The orcs have broken through our line. Parthyn is open to attack!"

---

Drogan - "Who will be left to defend Parthyn?"

---

narrator - "The raiding party returns, and the orcs flee in the face of a superior force."

---

narrator - "The orcs are broken, dead or fled."

---

Drogan - "By all rights, I should have you executed on the spot, Malin. I certainly should have not given the necromancer the chance to corrupt you. Since I showed him mercy, however, I will give the same to you. You are hereby banished from Parthyn and all the Kingdom of Wesnoth."

Malin - "Would you rather have let the orcs overrun the town and seen us both dead?"

Drogan - "Aye, better that than to even dabble in dark magic. People would have rebuilt the town, just as they always have in the past. Would that the mages had taught you more sense."

Malin - "The mages taught me enough. You won’t truly banish me, will you, Drogan?"

Soldier - "We should all be glad to see you gone, necromancer. I detest having fought by your side."

Drogan - "Begone, now. I’ve no wish to be forced to send the soldiers after you. Your father would be ashamed to see the end to which you’ve come."

---

Drogan - "That was bravely done, lad, holding the orcs off by yourself. The mages taught you well. But there is grave news from the village; your sister Dela was wounded in the attack. Healers attend her, but she may not live out the hour."

Malin - "Orcs. Foul, pestilent creatures. The wide green world would be a better place with them all dead. Dead!"

Drogan - "Perhaps, but if kings and great mages have not abolished them neither you nor I are ever likely to."

Malin - "Perhaps I cannot kill them all... but I see the back-trail of this band we defeated, and there will be more orcs at the other end of it. I shall pursue them."

Drogan - "And leave your sister?"

Malin - "My hands were never apt for healing. But revenge I can give her."

Drogan - "No! We need every man who can fight here, not lost in doomed attempt to harry the orcs in their own country!"

Malin - "I am resolved."

Drogan - "You’ll go without my blessing or my men, then. I won’t spare any on such an errand."
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

The_Gnat wrote: December 30th, 2018, 4:36 am Also there is a soldier who says 1 line.
Note the soldier's line is very new; it's not in 1.14.5. (And it's possible it would change again before 1.14.6, though I don't think that's likely.) The "Begone" line is also different between 1.14.5 and latest 1.14.

Also, do you intend to read the objectives (at scenario start and whenever [show_objectives] is used in events)? Just curious.
theuncertainman

Post by theuncertainman »

Hey guys. Sorry I didn't see this thread. If you have any minor roles available I'd love to join you all.

Happy new year!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

theuncertainman wrote: December 31st, 2018, 8:21 pm Hey guys. Sorry I didn't see this thread. If you have any minor roles available I'd love to join you all.
Thank you! Yes absolutely, we haven't gotten very far yet so just let us know how much ur interested in doing (perhaps u could be the narrator?)
josteph wrote: December 31st, 2018, 1:30 pm Also, do you intend to read the objectives (at scenario start and whenever [show_objectives] is used in events)? Just curious
We did not just because I didn't see it as necessary. Do you think it would be worth doing?
josteph wrote: December 31st, 2018, 1:30 pm Note the soldier's line is very new; it's not in 1.14.5. (And it's possible it would change again before 1.14.6, though I don't think that's likely.) The "Begone" line is also different between 1.14.5 and latest 1.14.
Yes that is true. Could you post a link to the new lines? We can just record the new versions instead of the old lines.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

The_Gnat wrote: December 31st, 2018, 9:59 pm We did not just because I didn't see it as necessary. Do you think it would be worth doing?
I don't know, really. I haven't played AToTB+voice. I just suggested it because the objectives is part of the text the player has to read in every scenario, so it seemed natural to read it. In some scenarios the objectives have important information ("Kill no units of Drogan's side", "Get the book back to Malin's castle"), reading it out will make it harder to miss. Ultimately, will the player's experience be enhanced by having the objectives (or parts of them) read out?
The_Gnat wrote: December 31st, 2018, 9:59 pm Yes that is true. Could you post a link to the new lines? We can just record the new versions instead of the old lines.
These are the new lines in latest 1.14:

Code: Select all

diff --git a/data/campaigns/Descent_Into_Darkness/scenarios/01_Saving_Parthyn.cfg b/data/campaigns/Descent_Into_Darkness/scenarios/01_Saving_Parthyn.cfg
index f456672e98b..6f9e9b6e9a5 100644
--- a/data/campaigns/Descent_Into_Darkness/scenarios/01_Saving_Parthyn.cfg
+++ b/data/campaigns/Descent_Into_Darkness/scenarios/01_Saving_Parthyn.cfg
@@ -374,9 +374,19 @@
                     message= _ "The mages taught me enough. You won’t truly banish me, will you, Drogan?"
                 [/message]

+                # Hint that the loyal units stay behind
+                [message]
+                    side=1
+                    race=human
+                    [not]
+                        id=Malin Keshar
+                    [/not]
+                    message= _ "We should all be glad to see you gone, necromancer. I detest having fought by your side."
+                [/message]
+
                 [message]
                     speaker=Drogan
-                    message= _ "Begone, now. I’ve no wish to be forced to send the soldiers after you. Your father would be ashamed to see the end to which you’ve come."
+                    message= _ "Begone, now. I’ve no wish to be forced to send the soldiers after you. Your father would turn in his grave did he see the end to which you’ve come."
                 [/message]
             [/then]
             [else]
Scenarios 7 8 9 10 12 also have changes since 1.14.5 so you should extract their dialogs from git.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

i just saw the latest updates to the thread. can we let my sister do the narrators voice?
i can voice the soldier
@uncertainman - tell us which lines you want to voice
@thegnat - can you tell us if the repository at github is ready so that sound files can be uploaded straight to the repository

id like to do all the ghosts/wraiths in the campaign because im planning to give them an eery ethereal effect similar to the banshees in warcraft
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

max_torch wrote: January 1st, 2019, 7:59 am i just saw the latest updates to the thread. can we let my sister do the narrators voice?
Yeah definitely. :)
max_torch wrote: January 1st, 2019, 7:59 am i can voice the soldier
id like to do all the ghosts/wraiths in the campaign because im planning to give them an eery ethereal effect similar to the banshees in warcraft
I am happy for you to do that if no one else has a problem.

Other important roles include the Dark Sorcerer Darken Volk and the main character Malin, both have fairly many lines.
max_torch wrote: January 1st, 2019, 7:59 am can you tell us if the repository at github is ready so that sound files can be uploaded straight to the repository
Yes I will post a link as soon as its done!
theuncertainman

Post by theuncertainman »

I'd be happy to audition for Malin. I won't be able to record till next week, sadly.

Edit:
There didn't seem to be too many lines for Malin in scenario 1. How many scenarios are there?

I'll leave it up to you to decide who I should voice.
God I'm hungover.
Last edited by theuncertainman on January 1st, 2019, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I could be the voice of Drogan if you like. At least I don't have to switch between all roles now.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

theuncertainman wrote: January 1st, 2019, 11:31 am I'd be happy to audition for Malin. I won't be able to record till next week, sadly.

Edit:
There didn't seem to be too many lines for Malin in scenario 1. How many scenarios are there?

I'll leave it up to you to decide who I should voice.
God I'm hungover.
theuncertainman you were actually my personal preference for voicing Malin. There are 12 scenarios. Malin is the main character, the star of the show!
we understand that everyone has lives outside of wesnoth therefore we will exercise patience.

i will edit the first post in this thread to summarize the assignment of roles
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

theuncertainman wrote: January 1st, 2019, 11:31 am I'd be happy to audition for Malin. I won't be able to record till next week, sadly.
Awesome ! Yes don't worry about that I still haven't gotten the git-hub project up :whistle: so I can sympathize
theuncertainman wrote: January 1st, 2019, 11:31 am There didn't seem to be too many lines for Malin in scenario 1. How many scenarios are there?
As max_torch said there are 12 scenarios so it is a bit longer than A Tale of Two Brothers but we are not in any hurry. This is more like a 3 month project then a 1 week one :)

If of course you don't think you will have enough time to do it that is fine, but if you want to the jobs yours :D
Heindal wrote: January 1st, 2019, 12:43 pm I could be the voice of Drogan if you like. At least I don't have to switch between all roles now.

Yes that would be great!
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Yeah, 3 month is realistic, especially with several protagonists / speakers. Note that Malin returns as a slightly older version of himself, so we could theoretically change the voice, when he gets older and more experienced (i tried to do this in my german quick run last year). But Malin is still one of the main characters in this add-on and has tons of dialogue.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Malin has several versions: young, old, and lich. https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/tree ... /portraits
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

True, I admit I haven't spoken the german part of the lich yet.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Do we want to voice over the objectives? If so the person who does the narrator could potentially do that?