ability: overrun

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
emdot

ability: overrun

Post by emdot »

Hello,

I always liked overrun ability of tank units in Panzer General.

I could be applied to heavy dwarvish units to increase their mobility (especially if they split with Outlaws).

How it should work:
When unit will enter enemy unit ZoC (with remaing move points) and will kill this unit it can use remaining move points and move further and attack next unit, and so on.

It shouldn't be given to 1st level (or even 2nd level) units or units with too many move points.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

That's weird... it doesn't make sense. Can you give a specific description of what exactly the ability would do?

I really prefer my "trample" idea: "When this attack is used to kill a unit, this unit is put in the killed unit's hex and may attack again, but not move."
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

It seems to me that the suggested specialty is "When this unit gets a kill, any movement points he had before attacking he regains."

Seems to me this has been suggested before. ;}
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

turin wrote:It seems to me that the suggested specialty is "When this unit gets a kill, any movement points he had before attacking he regains."
But obviously he had 0 because of ZoC.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Deathtenks

Post by Deathtenks »

Unless he had skirmish....or is that possible O_O....But How About widespread damage....
"When this unit attacks damage any other units in a 1 Hex radius for 25% of the damage dealt on the main target"

Little over powered maybe...But I like ^_^
Victory to those who do not fear death!
emdot

Post by emdot »

OK, lets write scenario.

Unit is one hex from nearest enemy unit.
Units has 4 move points (MP).

Unit goes one hex (3MP left) and attacks enemy.
Kills enemy.
Optional: moves on hex where enemy was.

Unit can use 3MP left as ZoC allows.

If is still inside enemy ZoC can move 1 hex (with 2MP
remaining) and attack enemy unit.

If succeed can use 2MP as previously.

This should be available only for upper level units because it could give too
much XP in short time (unbalance in multiplayer). For higher levels it will
offer interesting trade-off in campaigns. Potential break through enemy lines
giving speed to offensive but stealing XP from lower level units undermining
army build-up.
Drondh

Post by Drondh »

Elvish Pillager wrote: I really prefer my "trample" idea: "When this attack is used to kill a unit, this unit is put in the killed unit's hex and may attack again, but not move."
I had simillar idea, but decided to search a forum first, and with a good reason, I see.
My idea was however slightly different. I think it's best not to stray from "one attack per unit per turn" rule. Otherwise attacking unit could just waltz over entire field hospital killing off every patient.

So, to rephrase in my own words:
Ability: Trample (my variant)
Description: When this attack kills the defender, the attacking unit automaticaly moves to defending hex provided such move would be possible given attacker's current maximum speed.
Notes: The "current maximum speed" is to prevent units from charging into the depths of the ocean or jump over the cliff (honestly, as soon as you're not watching, they're bound to do something stupid...) and to prevent magicaly slowed units from mountain climbing if their current state prevents them from doing so (for example if the attacker was a slow unit to begin with)
In my opinion ideal "bearer" for such an attack would be some new branch in heavy infantry line. That's what being a shock trooper is all about - breaking the defence line and holding position.

What you think?
littlebeast

Post by littlebeast »

Drondh wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote: I really prefer my "trample" idea: "When this attack is used to kill a unit, this unit is put in the killed unit's hex and may attack again, but not move."
I had simillar idea, but decided to search a forum first, and with a good reason, I see.
My idea was however slightly different. I think it's best not to stray from "one attack per unit per turn" rule. Otherwise attacking unit could just waltz over entire field hospital killing off every patient.

Description: When this attack kills the defender, the attacking unit automaticaly moves to defending hex provided such move would be possible given attacker's current maximum speed.
Notes: The "current maximum speed" is to prevent units from charging into the depths of the ocean or jump over the cliff (honestly, as soon as you're not watching, they're bound to do something stupid...) and to prevent magicaly slowed units from mountain climbing if their current state prevents them from doing so (for example if the attacker was a slow unit to begin with)
In my opinion ideal "bearer" for such an attack would be some new branch in heavy infantry line. That's what being a shock trooper is all about - breaking the defence line and holding position.

What you think?
I think your variant is win, and that it would indeed be good for a new heavy infantry branch, or possibly even the current one. With some power reduction for balancing, of course.
Hiatus, epitome, colonel, sadist, Tucson, behemoth, quixote...
Okay, how many of those did you pronounce wrong?

My (very incomplete) campaign.
St Stux

Post by St Stux »

littlebeast wrote:
Drondh wrote: I had simillar idea, but decided to search a forum first, and with a good reason, I see.

What you think?
I think your variant is win, and that it would indeed be good for a new heavy infantry branch, or possibly even the current one. With some power reduction for balancing, of course.
Would it even need balancing? Heavy infantry are probably the least used unitsfor the loyalist. Personally i only use them to kill skeltons near my keep. They can't move fast enought to do anything else
Porro ago res publica of somnium
WindEnchanter

Post by WindEnchanter »

This remind of the ability I see in other turn based game.
In Taiko Risshiden V, the battle field is also hex based and the horseman have the ability of rush over to the other side of the targeting unit when they attack. In this way it bypass the ZoC, however it may also endanger itself since the other side of ZoC may have hordes of units awaiting.
So the ability goes like this.
For a heavy or charging unit, after they attack, the unit got moved to the other side of the target. This is only when the target is not dead and no one is blocking the otherside. If the target gets killed, the charging unit moves into the hex of the target and stays there.
St Stux

Post by St Stux »

WindEnchanter wrote: So the ability goes like this.
For a heavy or charging unit, after they attack, the unit got moved to the other side of the target. This is only when the target is not dead and no one is blocking the otherside. If the target gets killed, the charging unit moves into the hex of the target and stays there.
Do you mean charging as in the abilty, or charging as in gerale "charging"units such as horsemen ect?
Porro ago res publica of somnium
WindEnchanter

Post by WindEnchanter »

St Stux wrote:
WindEnchanter wrote: So the ability goes like this.
Do you mean charging as in the abilty, or charging as in gerale "charging"units such as horsemen ect?
Not as ability, what I mean is that fast moving unit that run too fast so they run to the otherside after their attack.
I am not refering to the units with charging ability that does double damage.
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

So, any people considering putting this ability in their own era? I doubt it'll ever make mainline. It violates a basic principle of Wesnoth.
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!
WindEnchanter

Post by WindEnchanter »

Darth Jordius wrote:So, any people considering putting this ability in their own era? I doubt it'll ever make mainline. It violates a basic principle of Wesnoth.
I will probably starting learning WML in the next few monthes. Once I learned enough probably I can make it happen in some customized games.
TruePurple

Post by TruePurple »

Sounds a little like my suggestion.
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19289

Both require moving next to a unit not using up movement. With mine attacking doesn't use up movement. But you don't get a second attack. With yours attacking doesn't use up movement and the unit gets additional attacks, but only if it manages to kill its target.