Inventory

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
shevegen

Inventory

Post by shevegen »

I would like to have an inventory for units that carry items.

Rings, staff etc...

Right now in a campaign I got a staff.

But I may forget which unit has had the item. So I propose an inventory.

A bag or backpack icon could be shown. Could be a small icon.

When the mouse hovers over it, we could display the content of the
inventory via tooltips. This should be the simplest implementation
and should be doable without much code changes.

Right now I do not seem to have a way to look at the inventory.

If the unit does not carry anything, the inventory icon should not
show up. So it is only shown when there is at the least one
item inside the inventory-object.
ghype

Re: Inventory

Post by ghype »

there is doofus Bad Moon Rising campaign doing exactly this. it is not flawless but its very enjoyable and the best I have seen sofar.

I dont think it is fid for multiplayer or default factions, but for campaigns it can make sense. if you want to experience it, I really recommend to give it try.
But maybe you already know this.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

I am very much in favor of this. BfW has a great potential for more RPG-like stuff. Unfortunately, there are many different implementations of inventories in UMC. It'd be great to have one (officially supported?)
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

There have been many concepts for inventory in UMCs, be it by using message systems (Wesband, Strange Legacy, Legend of the Invincibles ...) or even with terrain and a drag and drop inventory (Aeranor). These concepts will not work together with simple "objects", as objects were designed to change the unit 'permanently'. The taken objects however now are saved within the unit and with the new feature "remove object" you can unequip an object based on it's "id". But that is not enough.

To effectively equip and unequip things you would need to check if a unit already carries an object and what type of item such as a weapon, shoes, shields, rings, amulets etc. Objects so far don't deliver that 'type of item' so you can't use it in the way intended.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
ghype

Post by ghype »

so again, I want to clear my opinion up. I dont think this would be ideal for every mp scenario. maybe for mp campaings or scenarios who go over several maps like wc II or maybe scenarios who are design specifically to make the best use of this inventory system.

i could image this kind of extension would be mind-blowing for wc II.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I can see this included in core Lua files if you implement it.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

I agree with the opinion that I am not suitable for the MP scenario.
And basically this event system is feasible and there are several UMCs that actually operate.
They are different in design according to the character of each campaign, and it is impossible to judge which is best.
I think that there is no need to add new functions to Wesnoth just for this.
However, it may be beneficial to find and brush up commonly used logic.

The problem with this system is that there are too many events to load into the scenario and load time tends to be long.
Creator of "Mountain Witch" & "Castle of evil spirit"
Spixi

Post by Spixi »

The Wesnoth engine already supports items and many campaigns make use of this feature, but there is currently no way to display them in the user interface. So adding a visible inventory for own and allied units would be a great addition to the game. However, sometimes the item feature is used for technical “items”, for example to temporary modify a unit’s weapons. For this reason a new key technical=yes should be added, which prevents the item from appearing in the UI, which would confuse users otherwise.
enclave

Post by enclave »

all i can say is that im 99% sure that anyone of us, mortals, can create the inventory modification add-on without needing the developers to help with that , just nobody really wants to do it. (not sure about drag and drop feature which could be useful for inventory)
If i had all time in the world i would try to create it, but I don't so..... :D