Falcon -> Elder Falcon poll thread

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:

What should the Falcon -> Elder Falcon be named?

Poll ended at February 2nd, 2018, 6:42 am

Falcon -> Elder Falcon
73%
Roc -> Elder Roc
19%
Ruhk -> Elder Ruhk
8%

Total votes: 26

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Falcon -> Elder Falcon poll thread

Post by Pentarctagon »

Unless there are any objections, this will be the poll to decide the name of the Falcon -> Elder Falcon line as well. The poll will last two days, and everyone will get a single choice. If more discussion needs to happen before they are potentially renamed, however, then they will have to wait and won't be changed for 1.14.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Airatgaljamov

Re: Falcon -> Elder Falcon poll thread

Post by Airatgaljamov »

I am confused about why should we change the nice hunting falcons into some out-of-nowhere Rocs, who have no background, no hints in mainline and no sprites? Their addition is unnecessary. And if there will be this drastic change, then the whole concept of Dunefolk should be revised from the ground up.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Airatgaljamov wrote:I am confused about why should we change the nice hunting falcons into some out-of-nowhere Rocs, who have no background, no hints in mainline and no sprites? Their addition is unnecessary. And if there will be this drastic change, then the whole concept of Dunefolk should be revised from the ground up.
It was brought up as a possibility over in the lore thread, and Celtic_Minstrel asked about it more specifically here.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

I don't believe the names should be changed. Falcon is a very descriptive and English name for this unit. The other dunefolk names have been changed because they don't fit into wesnoth and are hard to understand.
However if the falcon is replaced (sprite and stats) he should have a new name. But this should happen along the lines of discussing faction balance and unit changes (like the possibility of having a jinn, elephants, magic carpet and other units that have been mentioned in the first khalifate thread)
Deciton_Reven

Post by Deciton_Reven »

I'm cool with mythological creatures and them having odd/foreign names as long as the common spelling in english is chosen for the english language, but gonna have to side with the "as long as they look like falcons and are stat'ed as falcons they should probably stay as falcons". For now at least.
name

Post by name »

Yeah, it does not really make sense for a level 0 unit with pathetic stats to represent a creature so large it could fly away with large game.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

This is pretty unpopular, huh... oh well.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Deciton_Reven

Post by Deciton_Reven »

Hey, maybe, as was said in the other threads, they eventually get Elder Falcon -> Roc. Bats used to have only the level 0 and 1 before and are a quite similar comparison point.

Rocs are a good idea, just not as tiny lvl 0 birds, which is the thread's purpose, just naming the small birds, not having them undergo heavy changes.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

It feels a little weird for a falcon to level up to a roc, but I guess it is indeed an option.
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:This is pretty unpopular, huh... oh well.
I have voted for Roc, but...
I think the reason people have voted for keeping the Falcon is that we don't have time now to introduce new units. The faction will be the same unit-wise, only names (and possibly description) will change in 1.14.

So, it doesn't make much sense to change the name to Roc while we still have falcons. :eng:
I don't even know why this poll was started. I think right now it generates only confusion. :hmm:

The work on this faction is only at the beginning, we haven't even touched the most controversial parts. :twisted:
name

Post by name »

Yeah I should clarify I am not against a Roc replacing the Falcon in the unit line up, but it should be a unit that starts at level 1 and advances to levels 2 and 3 and maybe even 4. Because its defining feature is its size.

If a smaller mythical creature was the goal, a Stymphalian bird would be more appropriate.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Appropriate sure, but that's a Greek myth, not a Middle-Eastern one, so it doesn't fit the flavour as well.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Xalzar wrote:The work on this faction is only at the beginning, we haven't even touched the most controversial parts. :twisted:

We've made/making changes to faction name, race name, & unit names. What does that leave that's controversial?
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

SigurdFireDragon wrote:We've made/making changes to faction name, race name, & unit names. What does that leave that's controversial?
Possible unit modifications/substitutions, change of abilities/specials, rebalancing...
I'm not proposing that we have to scrap everything and redo from zero, but some of these matters apparently need to be discussed more. I don't think all the problems with this faction will be washed away by renaming the units.
As an example, see all the discussion concerning Rocs and Jinns.

As an anticipation, I'd like to see the liminal alignment rediscussed. It's not only my opinion, I feel bound to voice the istances brought to me by some of my colleagues from my own national forum.
But, let's not talk about that right now. There's time.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Xalzar wrote:
SigurdFireDragon wrote:We've made/making changes to faction name, race name, & unit names. What does that leave that's controversial?
Possible unit modifications/substitutions, change of abilities/specials, rebalancing...
I'm not proposing that we have to scrap everything and redo from zero, but some of these matters apparently need to be discussed more. I don't think all the problems with this faction will be washed away by renaming the units.
As an example, see all the discussion concerning Rocs and Jinns.

As an anticipation, I'd like to see the liminal alignment rediscussed. It's not only my opinion, I feel bound to voice the istances brought to me by some of my colleagues from my own national forum.
But, let's not talk about that right now. There's time.
There is a difference between controversial and substantial, I would say. I don't believe there have been multiple, long threads of people ranting about the liminal alignment, for example :P