[mainline] Melee "marksman"

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
revolting_peasant

Re: [mainline] Melee "marksman"

Post by revolting_peasant »

beetlenaut wrote: April 22nd, 2018, 7:36 amBut, we also could just use "master" by itself couldn't we?
I don't think so. It's too general and too vague. It could indicate being in a relation of mastery with a person; it could indicate being higher-level somehow; it could indicate being the first, or most important, unit of the same class; and so on.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I would agree that "master" is too vague what about:

1. Precision, 2. Devoted, 3. Accurate, 4. Disciplined

Why don't we make a pole! :D
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

revolting_peasant wrote: April 22nd, 2018, 8:48 am It could indicate being in a relation of mastery with a person; it could indicate being higher-level somehow; it could indicate being the first, or most important, unit of the same class; and so on.
It's a weapon special, so none of those others make any sense. At the very least it means the weapon is somehow higher-level or important or has mastery over others. Which is basically true.

"Master" arguably gives more information than "plague", "swarm", or "drains" which could mean all kinds of things, and we're not talking about changing those.

Edit: Though, actually, I am fine with leaving it as "marksman" too.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

“Prowess” and “proficiency” were suggested before and both sound better and less generic (in purely aesthetic terms) than “master” in my opinion.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I like proficiency(or proficient?), since it rather straightforwardly suggests that the unit is especially proficient with that particular weapon.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Pentarctagon wrote: April 22nd, 2018, 5:26 pm I like proficiency(or proficient?), since it rather straightforwardly suggests that the unit is especially proficient with that particular weapon.
I agree I also like proficient it sounds good for a weapon specials name. Though after considering further I believe master would not be a bad name. Master does suggest a generic skill set more appropriate for an ability than weapon special but if it was instead Mastery it would convey, like proficient, a particular skill in a certain weapon.

Either would be am improvement, but I do not think that marksman is terrible.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Another point against “master”/“mastery”: the Master at Arms will not have the weapon special, so its name will become vaguely ironic. :P
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

shadowm wrote: April 22nd, 2018, 8:00 pm Another point against “master”/“mastery”: the Master at Arms will not have the weapon special, so its name will become vaguely ironic. :P
True, and the Master Bowman, Drake Blademaster, Dune Spearmaster, Dwarvish Runemaster, Gryphon Master.

It is better to use a new name that would create confusion. :)
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

+1 for "proficient"
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

I dislike 'proficient,' only because there are many other units proficient at their weapon of choice yet do not have this special. It also does not explain anything on its own. 'Accurate' is simple, self-explanatory, more logical, and can be used for both melee and ranged attacks.
Xaius

Post by Xaius »

My personal opinion is that the marksman tag doesn't bug me at all on melee attacks, but I would be perfectly fine with an alternate identical tag as well. Aren't there already abilities in wesnoth that do the same thing with different names?
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

I will propose a name. "Hawk eye". Hawk has an image that captures the target accurately and attacks it. I know that this name means that the hit rate is high and I think that we do not limit the type of weapons.
Creator of "Mountain Witch" & "Castle of evil spirit"
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

I think the hawk eye is more about the ability to spot even small and well disguised things from a very high distance.
There is also the word unerring in my mind, but it is not quite aestetic. I'd go for accurate.
revolting_peasant

I'm against "Accurate". Reasons:

* "Accurate" applies just as well to ranged weapons. Better, even - since there's more aiming involved and accuracy is more important.
* "Accurate" applies either to piercing weapons or to small ones. You're going to call a guy with a club accurate? Or a Dwarf with a battle axe? An undead's touch? No.

I'm against "Proficient". Reasons:

* That's not even particularly related to weapons. That could apply to anything - it's very vague.
* "Proficient applies just as well to ranged weapons.
revolting_peasant

The_Gnat wrote: April 22nd, 2018, 9:10 am Why don't we make a pole!
Include all of my suggestions from the first page of this thread then... also, we'd need to make it kind of ranked-choice or Condorcet poll.