[mainline] Renaming Khalifate for Wesnoth-ian identity

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: [mainline] Renaming Khalifate for Wesnoth-ian identity

Post by Pentarctagon »

SigurdFireDragon wrote:While we're at it, I think it would be worthwhile to update the Dunefolk faction description (inside the [multiplayer_side] tag) and the Era description for the + Dunefolk Eras.

Would that discussion be best here, in the race description thread, or elsewhere?
I think it would be a little premature at this point, given that the current description says things about how they lack magic users and use both lawful and liminal units, both of which could change depending on how the race description and balancing discussions go.

If you have ideas for it, then by all means post them - I'd say in a separate thread here in Ideas or in the Writer's Forum, just to keep things more cleanly separated - but I'm also not really sure how anything final could be changed for the faction description seeing how much about the faction is currently undecided.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:Speaking of which, it's entirely possible for the faction and the race to not have the same name. This might be a bit weird if the faction consists exclusively of dunefolk, mind you...
I think this largely hinges on whether or not a Jinn unit ends up being part of the Dunefolk recruit list or not. As it is, the faction is all human units except for the Falcon line, so at least for now it seems like it would be more confusing to call the faction something else besides Dunefolk.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

So now that the unit renaming polls are winding down, I think there's a few other things to consider before the string freeze:
  1. Do we want to add a wyvern rider line? Note that if its inclusion in the MP faction is uncertain but its inclusion in the culture is well-liked, it could be added just as a free unit for the time being. That would still allow it to be added to the faction later, between the string freeze and 1.14.
  2. Do we want to rename the falcons to either roc->elder roc or rukh->elder rukh? I for one am in favour of the latter. Alternatively, do we want to add a separate roc/rukh line?
  3. Do we want to make any changes to weapon names? I can't think of anything in particular though, apart from the khalid (though I think that was already handled by Pentarctagon). Maybe the naffat line? I dunno.
  4. Do we want to add a unique trait to the Dunefolk as a reference to the jinn? I'm imagining something that would give a slight boost (maybe 5%?) to fire resistance. It could be called something like "flame-blooded".
  5. Are there any other changes people might want that would change strings?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:So now that the unit renaming polls are winding down, I think there's a few other things to consider before the string freeze:
  1. Do we want to add a wyvern rider line? Note that if its inclusion in the MP faction is uncertain but its inclusion in the culture is well-liked, it could be added just as a free unit for the time being. That would still allow it to be added to the faction later, between the string freeze and 1.14.
  2. Do we want to rename the falcons to either roc->elder roc or rukh->elder rukh? I for one am in favour of the latter. Alternatively, do we want to add a separate roc/rukh line?
  3. Do we want to make any changes to weapon names? I can't think of anything in particular though, apart from the khalid (though I think that was already handled by Pentarctagon). Maybe the naffat line? I dunno.
  4. Do we want to add a unique trait to the Dunefolk as a reference to the jinn? I'm imagining something that would give a slight boost (maybe 5%?) to fire resistance. It could be called something like "flame-blooded".
  5. Are there any other changes people might want that would change strings?
#1: I'm not against it, but I'm not really for it, either. I'm not really sure where it would fit in to the unit line, unless you mean it would be added but not recruitable?
#2: If Roc/Ruhk is added, I would be in favor of it either replacing the existing Falcon line, or perhaps being further advancements to the Falcon line (which I remember being suggested by someone somewhere earlier). I don't know if that would fit into the Roc's lore though. I do definitely agree with ColdSteel here, that I don't really see them as a level 0 unit.
#3: I have no opinion on this - it's not something I've looked at much at all, aside from that Khalid shield bash oddity.
#4: I wouldn't be opposed to it, but from how things are currently in the lore thread, the Jinn seems like an undecided point. Also, I would prefer 10%, partially so it would be more meaningful of a bonus, but also because resistances don't generally come in 5% increments.
#5: No opinion. I'm just glad the faction and unit renaming was completed at this point, to be honest :lol:
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Yeah, added but not recruitable in MP, like the Dwarvish Scout for example. (There are also several campaign units I'd like to see promoted to free core units, but that's kinda off-topic.)

No strong objection to 10% instead of 5%, but note that traits are supposed to be small. Does a 10% fire resistance bonus give a greater benefit than, say, the resilience trait? If so, that's kinda a problem, isn't it?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:No strong objection to 10% instead of 5%, but note that traits are supposed to be small. Does a 10% fire resistance bonus give a greater benefit than, say, the resilience trait? If so, that's kinda a problem, isn't it?
That's kind of the problem with it being a resistance at all, honestly. Fire resistance vs Drakes? Invaluable. Against the Undead? :lol:
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Well, yeah, to offset only affecting one damage type it's probably okay to have it reduce damage more than resilience grants hit points.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:Do we want to rename the falcons to either roc->elder roc or rukh->elder rukh? I for one am in favour of the latter. Alternatively, do we want to add a separate roc/rukh line?
Would Rocling -> Roc make any sense?
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Possibly (though I slightly prefer the spelling rukhling -> rukh).