Relocate & add an "Are you sure?" query on clear all labels

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
mintleaf

Relocate & add an "Are you sure?" query on clear all labels

Post by mintleaf »

Labels aren't just used for multiplayer communication but also for a bit of storytelling. I find it very bad design to put the Clear All Labels option RIGHT BESIDE the Set Label option. Even worse, it activates immediately without a query. My friends and I've lost our narrative and roleplaying labels countless times because of this.

It's been like this for years so I expect this won't change in awhile. If that's the case can a modder advise me on a way to at least remove the Clear All Labels option from the right click GUI?
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Re: Relocate & add an "Are you sure?" query on clear all lab

Post by Computer_Player »

I agree with you, and I think a general re-placement of the menu would be good.

For reference the current setup is (ofc, some options are mutually exclusive i.e. Reruit vs Rename Unit):

* Special Scenario/Era/Mod Menu Options
Terrain Desc
Unit Desc
Rename Unit
Set Team Label
Clear Labels
Recruit
Recall
Planning Mode
Delay Shroud Updates
Next Unit
End Turn

In addition to the label issue, it is quite inefficient to have Terrain / Unit Desc right at the very top. I can't count the number of times where I entered the Help Menu and wasted a lot of time / lag (since it is one of the most resource intensive option in the entire menu)

It is also quite problematic to have "Next Unit" right on top of "End Turn"

In general terms, redesign should revolve around
1. Distancing an option from its "anti-option"
2. Misclick efficiency (i.e. easier to "undo" menu misclick)
3. Logical Turn Progression and utility (i.e. End Turn being correctly situated at the bottom)

My proposal then is to arrange menu options around 3 categories (which hit the above objectives): Positive (i.e., additive actions); Information (i.e. Help / Toggle options); and then Negative (i.e. subtraction or terminal options). Hence the following proposed menu:

* Special Scenario/Era/Mod Menu Options
Positive actions
Set Team Label - at the top since this is an easily cancelled menu and does not move the screen (e.g. next unit). Used more often than rename.
Rename Unit
Recruit
Recall
Next Unit
Information Options - in the middle, conveniently separating "postive" vs "negative" options.
Delay Shroud Updates
Planning Mode
Unit desc - above Terrain desc since this is used more often
Terrain desc
Negative actions
Clear labels - as a map wide action that is relatively rarely used, IMO it makes sense (and costs little) to have a "Confirmation Menu"
End Turn - at the bottom of course. This has confirmation screen if you have not made moves at all.

In an aside, I'm not sure if this is the best place for this topic. Mods would know.
Poison

Post by Poison »

Terrain desc is basically useless, no need for quick access at all imo, just having it in help would suffice. All you want to see is the defense on a tile and how many steps a unit can move; all easily available on mousehover. If you want details you will still use the unit description to see movement penalties and defenses. I just can't see why would anyone press this option.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Not much to disagree with there.
mintleaf

Post by mintleaf »

I would personally put General Lables and Team Lables in a single button. The label window in addition to the label's title would include a checkbox of whether it is public or team-only. The checkbox's option would remember the previous entry.
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

It seems there is some consensus here. What now?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Open an issue over on Wesnoth's Github.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

your suggestion seems to besaed on the current 1.12 menu layout, but note that this has changed in 1.13. In particular in 1.13;
1)recall/recruit are at the top of that list
2)End turn, next unit, planning mode were removed form that list,
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

Which is not to say the ideas are not good; just that the Issue would be better received if it were about the current development tree.

Issues against the current stable release are handled separately and this may not rise to the level for making 1.12.7 patch release.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

I see, thanks. The current 1.13 configuration seems to solve most of the stated issues here (as an aside); although not the actual main one posted by the OP- at anyrate, is there anyone using 1.13 who cares to detail the actual right click menu setup? Be that as it may, I'm sure this discussion of 1.12 issues raised relevant ideas / topics useful for 1.13 development.
mintleaf

Post by mintleaf »

Well I hope that in the future versions "clear all labels" is either removed from the right click menu, or comes with an additional are you sure query.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

You can remove the menu option by deleting clearlabels, from data/themes/default.cfg in your game data dir (https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Editingwesnoth).

You'll have to do this again every time you upgrade/reinstall wesnoth (if you learn of a better way please tell me).
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I've implemented this (see commit 40706a8837ee) and it will be in the next release (1.13.11). :)
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?