Option to limit number of strikes

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Zap-Zarap

Option to limit number of strikes

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Loosely related to the topic discussed here:

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 0&start=30
Pentactagon wrote: "No counterattack" doesn't really make much sense on its own - you don't get any benefit from not counterattacking, unless you're dealing with a UMC ability that reflects damage back to the attacker or something.
pauxlo wrote: I guess you were never in a situation of e.g. a paladin (or some other good melee unit) being attacked by lots of kamikaze walking corpses (like in "Valley of Death" in HttT)?
There killing the attacker just allows the next attacker to follow-up, thereby wearing your unit down. Not attacking back thus would allow just one or two attackers to hit you per turn, instead of dozens.
Wouldn't it be nice, to have a slider/button/whatever in the prefight popup, that one could limit the strikes of a unit, attacking and/or defending? In some situations, you'd like to hit, but not to kill (e.g. to feed XP to another unit, or to deal with situations as described by pauxlo above).
I like beavers.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Option to limit number of strikes

Post by Ravana »

Unneeded complexity for core game, feel free to implement as addon.
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Ravana wrote:Unneeded complexity for core game.
Definitely true.
I like beavers.
Poison

Post by Poison »

To me it sounds like an exploit, problem 1 gets solved by not tanking with your best units in those situations, problem 2 (assigning xp) gets solved by choosing a unit which will not kill if all strikes hit or if it misses once for the initial blow (or just wait 1 turn). Simple stuff. I can see it being an addon ofc.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

It seems like a good idea, the question of course: what would it take, code and time, to write such an add-on? I personally am not familiar with wesnoth's UI so i can not answer that but perhaps one of the developers has an idea? :D
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

It might even be simpler than that - have an option per unit to not land the killing blow. Then after each strike, check if the next strike would kill the enemy if it hit. If yes, reduce the remaining strikes to 0, then set the number of strikes back to normal after the attack ends.

So, it'd be attacker hits/defender hits/attack end events.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

@ Pentarctagon - True, :) and then you could add a right click menu button (with a [have_unit] filter) that allows you to activate or deactivate "kill strike" for each of your units.

(Also helpful would be an option to "set all units to kill strike" and "unselect all units". And an overlay should be added for each unit so it is obvious who you have already set)