Good uses for wasted XP

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Or, um, set it differently for each unit. There's no reason to use a set formula.

And there has been one semi-"howl of protest". this is already used by the necrophage as a special ability. So we can't really implement it universally until we think of an alternative specialty for the necrophage.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

What's wrong with XP needed=constant?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

[turin, necrophage] Oh, hadn't seen that. Still can't find it actually. Where?

[formula] Well, however the XP rate is chosen, what sort of numbers do you think it should generate? I was trying to come up with a ballpark figure, but for all I know my best guess could be some way out.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Simons Mith wrote:[turin, necrophage] Oh, hadn't seen that. Still can't find it actually. Where?
The unit is used rarely (I use it once or twice in EI). It take 65 XP to level, and it levels into itself.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager

Also, it can upgrade from the Ghoul in default MP.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Well in that case, perhaps we could use the necrophage as the baseline? XP to level to itself = 65 for necrophages, double that for non-necrophages. There's its 'signature' advantage; it regenerates at twice the rate of any other unit. I agree that that still erodes its specialness somewhat, which is a shame if it's a rare unit.
ryn

Post by ryn »

how about having the amount of xp needed be x^2 where x is the smallest number which, squared, produces a number larger than the xp needed for lvl 3. Then, for each time this number is reached, increment x. Thus, if I needed 120xp to reach level 3, x would be 11 (11x11=121>120) and then, once I get 121 xp, x becomes 12. Once I get 144 xp....

edit: x would start as sqrt (xp needed for level 3) rounded up, just for clarification.
2B |! 2B = 3F
Elvish_Pillager

ryn wrote:how about having the amount of xp needed be x^2 where x is the smallest number which, squared, produces a number larger than the xp needed for lvl 3. Then, for each time this number is reached, increment x. Thus, if I needed 120xp to reach level 3, x would be 11 (11x11=121>120) and then, once I get 121 xp, x becomes 12. Once I get 144 xp....

edit: x would start as sqrt (xp needed for level 3) rounded up, just for clarification.
Far too complicated, IMO, and I don't even see any advantages.
Mu

Post by Mu »

I think that wasting xps when you are level 3 can be frustating, but also realistic.

Imagine two solidiers in a mission. One is a legendary warrior, fighter in 1000 battles. The other one is a promising recruit. They face one enemy. The great warrior has to decide between killing the enemy in a single blow or leaving the fight to the recruit, for he would learn but would also be in danger.

Surely the legendary warrior will fight the enemy unless it is easy for the recruit. More or less the same that probably happens if these two are units in a Wesnoth game.
gabba
Inactive Developer

Post by gabba »

Simons Mith wrote:The only question is, how many XPs does a 3rd (or higher) level unit need to qualify? "The same XP as need to reach 3rd" is going to be too low for some units. An intelligent 3rd level troll could mash three second level units, get a free heal, then repeat. Ouchie. OTOH if you made the XP requirement twice the cost of advancing to third level, there's not much point implementing this feature for mages; they'll probably only see it kick in once!
Well, I would set it to 80 XP as a default, but then we might want to set a different number for other units (such as the necrophage, which could get the free heal every 50 XP or so).

Also, increase the XP needed for the next free heal by the number of HP gained: you get a free heal + 2 HP at 50 XP, then you need to get 52 XP more, and so on. This slightly discourages giving all the XP to your high-level units to boost them.

Would one of the devs like to submit a change request? How do you submit one of these?
speek

my 2 cents

Post by speek »

I like the idea of a small HP increment for additional levels. I don't like adding abilities or anything else as I think things like that should be specified by the particular unit's design.

Another way to satisfy the desire of some for super-high level units (which would make the game less fun IMO, but I can see that many would quite enjoy it) would be to make some special high-level factions. My impression is this wouldn't require any code change, but just some unit design to specificaly make a faction of units that, say, go to level 10 or beyond. I would think that would be a nice way to not change the game for anyone who doesn't want it, but enable it for those who do.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Those who want it can make a patch for it.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Hermooz

Post by Hermooz »

Hello All!
I've just become a wesnoth-addict, and i'm obviously a noob around here.

This is my FP so bear with me: was just thinking to put in the discussion my 0.2€:

the "bonus" for levelled units could consist in a couple more maximum HP and a PARTIAL heal (say, a fixed unit like 10 or 20 HPs or a percentage, like 30% of maximum HPs): bonus is awarded each time XP reach the current maximum HP value, then restarts at zero.

This way the Necrophage peculiarity is preserved (it would still be the only unit that FULLY regenerates at each XP "rollup": only, maybe should be adjusted since it levels at 65 XP and has only 32 HP. Regaining fulll health with just 4 lvl 1 kills maybe it's too much) , and the bonus would be awarded with a certain graduality: tough, hard hitting fighter-type units that get a lots of kill usually have lots of HP, so they won't getting the bonus too often. Healers and other "frail" units would still have the chance to get it without waiting eons.

Best wishes and keep up the good work!
--
Fabrizio "Hermooz" Ermini