ForestDragon's WML ideas

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
ForestDragon

ForestDragon's WML ideas

Post by ForestDragon »

hi, so, in this topic, i'll post my WML tag ideas/WML ideas:

firstly, you probably the [move_fake_unit] tag, what i find annoying is the fact that you have to specify every x,y ,so here is my idea:

Code: Select all

find_path=yes/no #default is no, the tags below are only recognised by the engine if 'find_path' is set to 'yes'
start_x=<same as x=>
start_y=<same as x=>
start_x,y=<same as x,y=>
end_x=<same as x=>
end_y=<same as x=>
end_x,y=<same as x,y=>
if_can't_go_over=stop_and_report (in the top-left of the screen)/stop/ignore(move over no matter what movement cost)/teleport over(teleports to any closest place the unit can resume movement on)/stop_and_fire_event '<event id>' #default is stop_and_report
if i didn't really explain it too well, you can just tell me

basically, what my intent is, is making something that resembles '[move_unit]'
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: ForestDragon's WML ideas

Post by zookeeper »

ForestDragon wrote:firstly, you probably the [move_fake_unit] tag, what i find annoying is the fact that you have to specify every x,y ,so here is my idea:
Uh, no you don't. You can just specify the start point and the end point, and any arbitrary number of waypoints along the way if you want.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

What is the value of adding "find_path=no"? Is there a value to ignoring terrain and ZOC and moving in the straightest line possible?

There is no need to change the x and y parameter names. x={start},{end} y={start},{end} works fine and follows the same path as if you had a player unit at the start and asked for a long move to the end.

The error handling, if added, would most-likely be done by stopping at the error-location and executing an embedded [else]. what happens then is up to the author.

Any change to move_unit_fake would also imply a change to move_unit since _fake appears to simply create a temporary unit, using move_unit internally.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

hmmm... ok, i think i may have overlooked something. sorry for sounding a bit dumb. i didn't know it worked that way. anyways, i'll probably post some better ideas later...
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

That's fine. I'll probably get a couple comments about not understanding some internal, myself. The only true 'wrong' is not learning from mistakes.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.