[mainline] Voice acting ?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: [mainline] Voice acting ?

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

And if you're working in 1.12, you may be able to use Lua's math.random to get the same effect and still allow undo.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi I was wondering if anyone thinks i should port this to wesnoth 1.14?
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

what kind of microphone is needed for this? can it be a cheap microphone? Or is there a cheap "hack" to make the recording quality great without spending?
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Well probably Heinendal would be the best to answer this because he recorded the current voice for the stories... But I don't think anyone is very picky and any recordings are better than none!

Would you be interested in helping record voices for the characters in the Two Brothers campaign?

White wolf mentioned he was interested in the past. If we can get a few people it would be great to record the dialogue and implement it in 1.14 with the new voice tag.
RolfDhew

Post by RolfDhew »

I would be interested in voice acting but unfortunately I don't have a mic
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Since there seems still to be a bit of interest I will post the dialogue (English) for the first scenario and we will see what we can get done! :D
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

which scenario's dialogues still need voiceover? i guess it wont hurt to give this a go with my headset mic.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Actually none of them have dialogue yet just voice for the story intro.

And yes it would be great if you want to to and make some voices for the first scenario! Or if you want you could do all the voices for one or two characters. Any help would be great!
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

I recorded dialog for the first scenario of AToTB. It would be embarrassing if people heard me in my room sounding all nerdy :geek:
I can redo specific lines if requested.
Update: I was in the mood so I ended up recording for the second scenario
Attachments
AToTB2_voice.zip
(2.4 MiB) Downloaded 573 times
AToTB1_voice.zip
(2.09 MiB) Downloaded 574 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

max_torch wrote: April 25th, 2018, 12:26 pm I recorded dialog for the first scenario of AToTB. It would be embarrassing if people heard me in my room sounding all nerdy :geek:
I can redo specific lines if requested.
Update: I was in the mood so I ended up recording for the second scenario
Great thank you! I will have a look at it and start working on coding it into the scenario!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

max_torch wrote: April 25th, 2018, 12:26 pm I can redo specific lines if requested.
I have put all the voices into the first and second scenario and they are all really good! Thank you very much! :D

No lines need redoing but some lines were not included in the archive, for example if you get defeated. Here I have posted all the remaining lines that need recording for the first 2 scenarios. And it would be awesome if you want to record the remaining voices for the campaign! In the second scenario if you play EASY then their is an additional dialogue with a Iron Mauler named Brena.
Scenario 1
speaker=Mordak
message= _ "Your brother’s plan to ambush me has failed. He is our prisoner now."
speaker=Arvith
message= _ "My brother, kidnapped? I have failed you, Baran! And even now Mordak’s forces descend upon the village!"

speaker=Arvith
message= _ "All is lost now that I am dead..."
Scenario 2
speaker=adept
message= _ "Three days ride to the northeast, in a deserted castle. The passwords to the guards are..."

speaker=Brena
message= _ "Greetings. I am Brena, a knight errant. I saw you pursuing and fighting the foul undead. Are there more of them to be destroyed?"

speaker=Arvith
message= _ "Aye. We think there’s a nest of them north-east of here. They’ve captured my brother."

speaker=Brena
message= _ "I bear a great hatred towards their kind. I will follow and fight them with you, if you permit."

role=horseman
message= _ "He would only slow us down!"

speaker=Arvith
message= _ "It is my place to decide this."

speaker=Brena
message= _ "Thank you. My comrades and I will help you on your noble quest."

speaker=Brena
message= _ "Take this, then, for I see that you are on a quest. My comrades will help you whenever you call for them."
Thank you very much!

Also if anyone else is interested in recording lines for their own language that would be great! :)
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

We need male and female versions for certain dialog where the unit speaking can be either a male or a female (such as footpad).
Here's the dialog lacking from the previous scenarios and the dialog for scenario 3 and 4. Can anyone recommend a better recorder than the one that comes with windows 7?

Do tell when the add-on is ready. It's worth giving A Tale of Two Brothers another go in 1.14.
Attachments
AToTB4_voice.zip
(1.99 MiB) Downloaded 528 times
AToTB3_voice.zip
(3.42 MiB) Downloaded 1044 times
AToTB2_voice2.zip
(1.91 MiB) Downloaded 524 times
AToTB1_voice2.zip
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 484 times
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Hmm, that's a good point. I should add female_voice too. (For the time being though you can use [if] statements to get that effect.)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: April 28th, 2018, 3:43 pm Hmm, that's a good point. I should add female_voice too. (For the time being though you can use [if] statements to get that effect.)
Yes that is a good idea! Also it would be good if voice= played the sounds in the order they were listed rather that randomly. But neither are a huge priority so whenever you have time! :)
max_torch wrote: April 28th, 2018, 8:16 am Here's the dialog lacking from the previous scenarios and the dialog for scenario 3 and 4.
Thank you very much that is great! :D I think though that you may have forgotten to put some of the recordings in the archive though? Scenario 1 is still missing Mordak saying "Your brother’s plan to ambush me has failed. He is our prisoner now."

Or maybe I just missed it... what is the files name?

And scenario 2 is still missing a few:
Spoiler:
Also it seems you have not done any of Brena's lines (the iron mauler from scenario 2), in case you missed them.
max_torch wrote: April 28th, 2018, 8:16 am We need male and female versions for certain dialog where the unit speaking can be either a male or a female (such as footpad).
Definitely! If anyone wants to volunteer to do a female voice that would be great! Otherwise for now I will put a filter on the message so that it only selects a man.
max_torch wrote: April 28th, 2018, 8:16 am Do tell when the add-on is ready. It's worth giving A Tale of Two Brothers another go in 1.14.
Yes I certainly will!
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Yeah, I agree that playing in order would be preferable, but I figured generally you'd only have one sound there so it wouldn't make much difference. Allowing in-order playing is more complicated and would require new options in the sound source API, though it's certainly doable.

Do let me know if there are any other things that should be added for good voiceover support. (So far my list includes in-order playback, female_text, and localization for audio resources.)