Change Dawn/Dusk sounds to the "Turn Bell" section

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
GoatGoat

Change Dawn/Dusk sounds to the "Turn Bell" section

Post by GoatGoat »

Hey, I play Wesnoth with volume settings pretty low compared to any music I've got going on, or any other sound that's running. Every time the turn changes to Dawn or Dusk though, the sound of crickets/owls/etc is overpowering and distracting. I've turned off the Turn Bell sounds in the options menu, but it only seems to affect that already unobtrusive and laid-back drum that hits once at the start of every turn. It's a lot louder than normal sound effects, maybe even giving these noises their own section in the options menu would work as well.

Not entirely sure where to put this, but I think it might be an acceptable suggestion.
Eagle_11

Re: Change Dawn/Dusk sounds to the "Turn Bell" section

Post by Eagle_11 »

For now you can find the silence.ogg in core/music/ and copy it over to core/sounds/ambient/ to replace morning.ogg and night.ogg (those 2 contain the rooster and owl)

Also, i agree that this should able to get turned off.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Eagle_11 wrote:For now you can find the silence.ogg in core/music/ and copy it over to core/sounds/ambient/ to replace morning.ogg and night.ogg (those 2 contain the rooster and owl)

I agree too. There should be a checkbox in volume preferences for turning off these sounds. They are really distracting when i am listening to other music.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

I agree that the dawn/dusk sounds are much too loud compared to the other sounds, but I still like them so I'd rather that they just be made softer or be given their own volume control in preferences.
GoatGoat

Post by GoatGoat »

Eagle_11 wrote:For now you can find the silence.ogg in core/music/ and copy it over to core/sounds/ambient/ to replace morning.ogg and night.ogg (those 2 contain the rooster and owl)

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that to tide me over for now. Thanks for the filenames!
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

I agree too - they're much louder than they should be and I'm really not a fan of that. They should definitely be affected by the turn bell option, and lowered in volume at base anyways.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I'm not the person to add new sound controls, but I've lowered the night and morning sounds' volume for now. I didn't want to risk going too far in the opposite direction either so the change isn't very drastic. If people still keep finding them too loud then maybe they can be dropped even further.