MP Modification Ideas - the Thread

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Eagle_11

MP Modification Ideas - the Thread

Post by Eagle_11 »

This thread is only for ideas, not their executions or how to's. Feel free to add anything that hasnt been made yet.

-Healing gives Exp: Healers receive 1 xp per unit healed.
-Dynamic Unit Cost: Every time an unit is recruited, recruitment price of it's type goes up by one. Everytime an unit of that type dies, price goes down by one.
-Promotable Leaders: Can promote any level 2 unit, but only those that are eligible as leader for that faction.
-Personal Healing Tent: Every leader gets one in inventory, at game begin if enabled. It is deployed through right-click menu on anywhere flat, is an terrain overlay and functions like an portable village(that doesnt give income or def bonus) for healing purposes.
The leader can deploy or pack it up. It gets permanently lost the moment an hostile unit enters it.
-Item Shop: You can buy an single item for your leader at first turn.
-Buyable Healing Potions: Any unit adjacent to Leader can be equipped with an single healing potion that costs 8 gold, aslong as it has atleast 1mp left. Potion on consume will restore 8 hitpoints to that unit.
It would be setup so that this potion can only be consumed when unit has no moves left, and an unit can consume only one potion per round.
-Random Crates: For every 2 player spawns 1 crate every specified turn at any unoccupied hex that is atleast 5 hex distant from any village. Crates are picked up by the unit that wanders on them and can be either harmful or beneficial. Positive crates can heal, cure, give invisibility for length of a day, make invincible for next attack, remove fog for a day, give cash, give free unit etc.
Harmful crates can poison, explode, turn unit into undead if living, shroud the map, etc.
-Income Exhaustion: After specified turns, player owned village's resources gets depleted and can no longer give income. This doesnt apply to unoccupied yet villages.
-Income Boost: Villages gain +1 income per an full day if no-one stepped on them, village being captured resets the upgrade step to 0, friendly unit healing in village stops upgrade step for that turn.
-Periodic Cash Injections: Every player gets large sums of gold on specified turn intervalls.
-Reinforcement Waves: Just like above but you receive free lvl1 units of your faction instead, that got put into your recall list to be summoned.
-Revolts: Each turn there is risk of rebellion in villages, the longer game drags the more chance there is and stronger the spawned neutral hostiles become.
tommy2teeth

Re: MP Modification Ideas - the Thread

Post by tommy2teeth »

I like Dynamic Unit Cost and Revolt a lot. I hope they become a reality one day. I loved games like Nobunaga's Ambition when I was growing up, they used to have revolts all the time in that game.

I keep trying to think of a way to do an alliance mod. I was thinking you could offer an ai team an alliance for 10 gold per turn (up to 5 turns for 50 gold). Whether you had all of it it or not, it would be deducted from you. So you could potentially owe 40 gold to another team and all the gold you make would go to the other team until it is repaid. Also you could not make an alliance if you had zero gold or had the most villages. What do you think Eagle 11?
Telcontar

Post by Telcontar »

Eagle_11 wrote: -Healing gives Exp: Healers receive 1 xp per unit healed.
Has been debated ad nauseam. Bad idea because it would unbalance the game.
Eagle_11 wrote: -Dynamic Unit Cost: Every time an unit is recruited, recruitment price of it's type goes up by one. Everytime an unit of that type dies, price goes down by one.
"Under the Burning Suns" does something similar (but unit cost does not go down when a unit dies).
Eagle_11 wrote: -Promotable Leaders: Can promote any level 2 unit, but only those that are eligible as leader for that faction.
Do you mean something like Elvish Captain vs. Hero?
Eagle_11 wrote: -Personal Healing Tent: Every leader gets one in inventory, at game begin if enabled. It is deployed through right-click menu on anywhere flat, is an terrain overlay and functions like an portable village(that doesnt give income or def bonus) for healing purposes.
The leader can deploy or pack it up. It gets permanently lost the moment an hostile unit enters it.
Probably similar ideas have been implemented in user-made campaigns.
Eagle_11 wrote: -Item Shop: You can buy an single item for your leader at first turn.
-Buyable Healing Potions: Any unit adjacent to Leader can be equipped with an single healing potion that costs 8 gold, aslong as it has atleast 1mp left. Potion on consume will restore 8 hitpoints to that unit.
It would be setup so that this potion can only be consumed when unit has no moves left, and an unit can consume only one potion per round.
-Random Crates: For every 2 player spawns 1 crate every specified turn at any unoccupied hex that is atleast 5 hex distant from any village. Crates are picked up by the unit that wanders on them and can be either harmful or beneficial. Positive crates can heal, cure, give invisibility for length of a day, make invincible for next attack, remove fog for a day, give cash, give free unit etc.
Harmful crates can poison, explode, turn unit into undead if living, shroud the map, etc.
Many campaigns have that, "Legend of the Invincibles" has this or variations of all of these.
Eagle_11 wrote: -Income Exhaustion: After specified turns, player owned village's resources gets depleted and can no longer give income. This doesnt apply to unoccupied yet villages.
-Income Boost: Villages gain +1 income per an full day if no-one stepped on them, village being captured resets the upgrade step to 0, friendly unit healing in village stops upgrade step for that turn.
-Periodic Cash Injections: Every player gets large sums of gold on specified turn intervals.
Can be done in special settings, and has been done in some campaigns/scenarios, though mostly for the enemy.
Eagle_11 wrote: -Reinforcement Waves: Just like above but you receive free lvl1 units of your faction instead, that got put into your recall list to be summoned.
Why would you pay 20 gold for a new unit?
Eagle_11 wrote: -Revolts: Each turn there is risk of rebellion in villages, the longer game drags the more chance there is and stronger the spawned neutral hostiles become.
Several scenarios in several campaigns implement something like that.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Well, you can always opt to not use and continue playing without it. Nevertheless, it should be there as an option.
And frankly, i do not care about the supposed "balance" of this chance-game anymore as the rng deciding to favour the opponent for one turn will undo everything you did right up until that point.

Also you have to realize singleplayer campaign implementations cant be taken and used in mp as is, mostly because they arent mpi.
Why would you pay 20 gold for a new unit?
Recall cost can be adjusted to match the unit's original cost or whatever else you'd like it to be, you can even make them free.
Several scenarios in several campaigns implement something like that.
If you can give me exact scenario and campaign i can actually go take a look at how it had been done, for any of these.
Telcontar

Post by Telcontar »

Eagle_11 wrote:
Several scenarios in several campaigns implement something like that [peasants revolting].
If you can give me exact scenario and campaign i can actually go take a look at how it had been done, for any of these.
I think the last outdoor scenarios in "The Hammer of Thursagan", where you fight your way to the cave entrance, has peasants/rogues that spawn when you try to capture a village. They don't revolt after you already own a village, though. The mechanism for this may be similar, though.

Peasants revolting in already-captured villages would punish the leading player and tilt the balance back to the middle. Not sure if this is desired; it would drag out the final outcome.

Peasants revolting in freshly captured villages work in this particular case, because the enemy is overpowered. It gives the player the challenge of timing his advance to avoid fighting rogues.

In "Heir to the Throne", there is also a scenario roughly in the middle of the campaign where rogues or other units (including friendly units) spawn in certain places.
Can-ned_Food

improve the Village mechanism

Post by Can-ned_Food »

a village has a certain number of Ownership Pieces|Points|Units; the number per scenario or session is defined much like village_gold= is. each whole Turn round, measured from End Turn to Begin Turn, during which a village is occupied by a unit which is at tier|level 1 or above will give that Side 1 OP.

other Sides may have residual OP on a village; because the total number of OP is constant per village, these OP change their alignment when the village is being conquered. they are not grouped, but determined by the time at which they were awarded. so, the earliest acheivements in a Village which has all its OP assigned will be the first losses for that Side when it is occupied by the unit of a different Side. e.g. with 4 OP total per Village and 5 participants in a multiplayer session, º5 comes and lands a unit on a village:
1 5 5
1 1 5
2 1 1
3 2 1
if, however, those OP are for the same side as is occupying the village:
1 3 3
1 1 3
2 1 1
3 3 3

a Village will not produce Resources (Gold or whatever the campaign or scenario uses) unless it is majorly owned by a single Side. this is computed by a simple majority of the total OP; the production of the village is also factored in floored proportion to the total number of OP for the majority Side: i.e., rounded down to the nearest whole unit of Resource e.g. Gold.

a Village will only change ownership while it is occupied by a unit.

OP belonging to an allied Side will be converted at the beginning of the following Turn. so, changing ownership from a teammate is easier.

also — much like Wesnoth does it now — if a unit lands on a village which is not fully owned by that unit's Team, it loses all Moves remaining for that Turn.

also much like Wesnoth does it now, changes in ownership should be done prior any functions which make use of that village viz. awarding Resources like Gold.

villages would function no differently than they do now with a village_points=1 value.

I was to post this in its own topic, but it is probably better introduced in this one on the chance that this either
  1. has been done
  2. can be done via the WML objects viz. a Modification type of add–on
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Ah, you mean accumulating gold income based on consequetive ownership turn length, that gets anulled upon capture.
regarding this
-Dynamic Unit Cost: Every time an unit is recruited, recruitment price of it's type goes up by one. Everytime an unit of that type dies, price goes down by one.
i have taken a look into utbs method, but have failed to make it mp-compatible. In fact i have not that much of an idea how it even functions therein, actually.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

It just uses loads of unit types.

Code: Select all

{DESERT_ARCHER_VARIANT  1 18}
{DESERT_ARCHER_VARIANT  2 19}
{DESERT_ARCHER_VARIANT  3 20}
{DESERT_ARCHER_VARIANT  4 21}
{DESERT_ARCHER_VARIANT  5 22}
{DESERT_ARCHER_VARIANT  6 23}
{DESERT_ARCHER_VARIANT  7 24}
{DESERT_ARCHER_VARIANT  8 25}
{DESERT_ARCHER_VARIANT  9 26}
{DESERT_ARCHER_VARIANT 10 27}
Can-ned_Food

Re: improving the Village mechanism

Post by Can-ned_Food »

Eagle_11 wrote:Ah, you mean accumulating gold income based on consequetive ownership turn length, that gets anulled upon capture.
No, it would work more like
  • for this example, village_gold=2 and village_points=6
  • if you land on a village which is unowned, it will require 4 Turns with one of your units occupying that village until you begin receiving 1 Gold per Turn. it will require you to remain on that village for 6 Turns to receive 2 Gold per Turn.
  • if, when you have completely conquered that village, an enemy unit lands upon the tile, neither of you will receive any gold.
  • if that enemy has a unit on that village for 4 Turns — not necessarily consecutive — so that they meet both requirements of possessing 4 OP of that village and also the latest OP slot, then they will begin receiving 1 Gold per turn if and only if the village is occupied by one of their units.
  • once that enemy has been on the village for 6 Turns, the village is conquered, and will produce 2 gold each turn whether occupied or not by one of their units.
p.s. I am a big fan of your Advance On Kill mod! i always thought that melee and ranged attacks needed more distinction!
i've noticed some bugs, but i'll post them on its proper topic.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Aha, got you now. The initial delay of 4 turns before first income gets produced may cause quick gameover if one side gets lucky at first contact.
i've noticed some bugs, but i'll post them on its proper topic.
You can simply send me an pm for things that dont have an forum topic.