'Victory' unit animation?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
skeptical_troll

'Victory' unit animation?

Post by skeptical_troll »

I understand that nowadays there is lack of artists and lot of animations to be finished for many mainline units, so maybe this idea is not the most feasible one, but I post it anyway in case somebody likes it and want to try.
I was thinking whether some unit could have a 'victory' animation when they deal the killing blow to an enemy, few frames where they do some sort of celebration. I don't know, like a grunt wielding his sword above his head with two hands, or an ogre pounding on his chest and screaming. It seems to me that this would be more appropriate for 'brute force' units rather than, e.g., magi or elves, but it could add some flavor to the game and also provide a little reward to the player for killing enemies.

Is there already a way to set up something like that using WML?
Sire

Re: 'Victory' unit animation?

Post by Sire »

I think this already exists for some units (see Master at Arms and the Dwarven Thunderer). Of course, the main limiting factor is there are not enough sprite artists around (or a sprite artist with a lot of free time and motivation to work on Wesnoth), so the likelyhood of new animations coming in, especially something like victory animations, is rather slim.

I would like to see the Dragon and Skeletal Dragon units have some form of animation. They are excellent sprites, but not having an animation for attacking and defending sorta sucks.
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

You are right! I never realized that those two units have it (and it looks pretty cool indeed), so it wasn't a very original idea. I'll have a look at their cfg file.

Animating the dragons would be supercool, but given how big those sprites are, it must be a titanic work!
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

actually, someone already done it, i seen a fairly nicely animated Fire Dragon in Trader-Strange Legacy, which i also use in my era,
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

ForestDragon wrote:i seen a fairly nicely animated Fire Dragon in Trader-Strange Legacy
There is the Irdya dragon and pixelmind's dragon, but you don't mean that someone animated the BfW core fire dragon, do you?
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

Yes, that is what he means.

I didn't see the animations life but there are
- 19 images in that add-on (in the folder Trader/images/units/monsters/)
- 5 images in Legend of the Invincibles (in folder /images/units/enemies/)
the second add-on has (at least) one image which is not in the first (fire-dragon-fly)
Try out the dark board theme.