The {SPECIAL_NOTES} hate thread

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Eagle_11

The {SPECIAL_NOTES} hate thread

Post by Eagle_11 »

its annoying to use. it should be reworked,
for example there would be an specialnote=_"insert text here" field that can be placed within any ability or special definition, the parser then would automatically add +{SPECIAL_NOTES} after unit's description and retrieve the matching field from any [abilities] and [specials] on attacks the unit has, and add them as +{SPECIAL_NOTES_ABILITYNAME} behind that, if specialnotes= does not exist simply skips it blank.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: The {SPECIAL_NOTES} hate thread

Post by Ravana »

Is there need to hate {SPECIAL_NOTES}? You can just decide to not use it. Other than core I have seen it used in only few places.

I am not even sure what the point of those notes is. After all, you can put everything in the ability description.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

I am just guessing, but imo using macros for strings has a lot of maintenance value. That way if you want change text from a special, you dont need revise every [unit] using it.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Is there need to hate {SPECIAL_NOTES}?
Title meant to be humor, sorry if you got triggered. :lol:
You can just decide to not use it.
And thats exactly what i do.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Noooo! Please no. Please don't. Please ignore this guy who can't capitalise or tell its from it's. Please move this thread into a forum only Shadowmaster can see.

The inability to configure the help menu is already really really bad. There is a plenty of cool things that can be done but if I want them to be reflected in the help menu, my hands are tied. Making {SPECIAL_NOTES... automatic would make it even worse.
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

Dugi wrote:Noooo! Please no. Please don't. Please ignore this guy who can't capitalise or tell its from it's. Please move this thread into a forum only Shadowmaster can see.
If you're trying to undermine his argument, this isn't a good way to do it. If anything, it is disrespectful.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I thought the suggestion was to make one of the WML maintaining tools add the notes, not that it should happen during every loading. Especially as it already gives warnings for missing notes.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

tribes55 wrote:
Dugi wrote:Noooo! Please no. Please don't. Please ignore this guy who can't capitalise or tell its from it's. Please move this thread into a forum only Shadowmaster can see.
If you're trying to undermine his argument, this isn't a good way to do it. If anything, it is disrespectful.
Undermine? The second part of my reply tells why is his idea bad. The first part is merely a humorous introduction. I did not consider the possibility that someone would think that I meant the grammar-nazi-style ad hominem attack seriously.
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

Dugi wrote: Undermine? The second part of my reply tells why is his idea bad. The first part is merely a humorous introduction. I did not consider the possibility that someone would think that I meant the grammar-nazi-style ad hominem attack seriously.
That is my mistake then. Sarcasm can go easily unacknowledged over any written means of communication.