Putting campaign units into mainline?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
ForestDragon

Re: Putting campaign units into mainline?

Post by ForestDragon »

btw, remember Orcish Nightblade unit from lots of UMCs? he has EVERYTHING to get mainlined, only need to define stats. i think 12-2 'dagger' blade 11-2 'kick' impact and 6-4 'throwing knives' will make him balanced enough, as well as giving him some unique-ness (new kick weapon/bonus strike on ranged)
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

The nightblade has already been mainlined! As you can see here, it's not currently connected to the assassin line, though there may be a define available to enable that for a campaign.

I have no idea how defined the nightblade's stats currently are, but tweaks could certainly still be made if deemed necessary.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

:shock: :shock: :shock: Oh... My... Goodness!!! it's pretty much dreams came true ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ thanks for telling me
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

IMO the Nightblade is pretty much good as-is to be the level 3 assassin, it's not like Assassins end up leveling up that much and it having 4 poisons over 3 actually only increases its odds of inflicting poison from like 93 to 97% which like, it's already insanely high and a hair removed from guaranteed.

I haven't gone through the entirety of Son of the Black-Eye yet but I'm on the fence about the Shamans. They kind of actually vaguely fall into the category of hero-ish units like the Witness - the three there are named characters who have to be protected at all times and stuff like that, and they're all kind of equal council members. But reinterpreting them a bit could be interesting? I like them as the orcish answer to healers - they're cheap but not actually that great as healers, so instead they get a perk to survivability in the form of that draining thing. I'd say...14 gold, it solely starts off with curing and not actual healing, otherwise same stats as the existing Shaman (maybe a little more HP, and possibly like an 8-1 melee sidearm). Only at level 2 should it get +4 healing and maybe it should never get the +8, maybe instead it ought to somehow get a Stun or Shock ranged attack.

Speaking of that campaign (since the Orcish Leader actually was once solely Kapou'e but it was decided to make him into a generic unit), heroes of them being mainline units is a bit of a case by case basis really. I think in cases where it's a variant-type unit, like say Konrad or Haldric as they're pretty much just normal Generals, they should stay where they are, but in cases where the 'job' of that unit is something relatively unique and plausible to be seen elsewhere in the world, they should be adjusted for mainline purposes.

For example, I think the Merman King line would be good for a lot of campaigns and scenarios where a merman royal is needed - like, for example, King Typhon in Rise of Wesnoth. Delfador in Memoirs is pretty much just a mage with leadership but I think actually it'd be best suited to being made a dedicated military warmage unit that's sort of a jack of all trades or rangery mage that has a little more melee power and survivability but not as powerful magic - and maybe they ought to actually get the lightning as their specific brand of magic. The Heavy Cavalry/Horse Lord guy should definitely be its own unit, probably a tiny bit more flavored like Cossacks and Uhlans and Hussars and the like (actually, a Winged Hussar styled unit would be really cool, and heck the thing the Horse Lord does here is /basically/ what Winged Hussars do in Civ!). Kind of feel the same about the one with Leadership from the South Guard - basically I think the both of them would work really well at characterizing the nature of the eastern horse-based reaches of Wesnoth. Jessene's unit I also think ought to be a generic unit, specifically I'd advise something of an Inca-esque combat slinger or so.

Konrad I already said should likely stay as-is. Not too sure about Li'sar, I feel like there should be a bit more expanded upon with how a First Strike-aura unit works and I could see her unit line as a less dodgy and mobile but tankier and support-oriented Fencer alt promotion. I don't think the Infantry Lieutenant has enough going on, its basically just another general-type but with a shield and glaive. And Malin Keshar is basically just a Dark Sorcerer with Konrad's head on him and is by all other means just an ordinary dark mage like any other.
Durin_the_great

Post by Durin_the_great »

You can find winged husars in EEaW era. It's pretty good
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:The nightblade has already been mainlined! As you can see here, it's not currently connected to the assassin line, though there may be a define available to enable that for a campaign.

I have no idea how defined the nightblade's stats currently are, but tweaks could certainly still be made if deemed necessary.
Please connect him so dont have to edit coop campaigns just to get him.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I will admit that some of the leader units feel a bit more generic than others; I'd still be hesitant to mainline them, but you make reasonable arguments at least for the merman ruler.

I'm definitely against the Delfador line being mainlined, and in particular the introduction of lightning as a standard attack (as I understand, the lightning is a plot point in Delfador's Memoirs). If the Delfador line were redesigned, I suppose I might reconsider, but I don't think that's overly likely to happen at this point. (At least, I'm aware of no plans to do so.)

I'm not sure what really distinguishes the Jessene unit from a footpad — sure it has a staff instead of a mace, and maybe its movement/defense is different (I didn't check), but it does seem fairly similar overall. Plus, it's definitely tailored to a specific person, so it certainly fits the criteria of units that I generally wouldn't recommend mainlining.

Li'sar can't work as-is as a fencer promotion, in part because of gender disparity - the fencer line is currently all male, while she obviously isn't. Ignoring that, I can sort of see it (swapping skirmish for the first-strike aura or something?), though I'm still unsure if it fits the idea of the fencer. I guess she does at least wield a fencing sword, though.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

I haven't looked at the units but remember thinking the Merman line looked like it would work for mainlining. I'm with Celtic Minstrel on the Delfador and Li'sar work; I've not looked at the Jessene at all.

Delfador's lightning comes from his Staff, which is a unique item he obtained in the land of the dead. I would prefer to see mainline campaigns designed around that item. For example, where did it come from and how did it come to be here Delfador found it (and who is that guardian)? And, what happens to his staff following his death?
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.