[Interface] Make Early Finish Bonus clearer

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Post Reply
User avatar
Inky
Forum Moderator
Posts: 521
Joined: September 22nd, 2014, 1:02 am
Location: USA

[Interface] Make Early Finish Bonus clearer

Post by Inky »

I noticed the early finish bonus in scenarios is always 2 + the number of villages on the map, regardless of what the initial income and gold per village setting is.

I don't know whether this is intentional or an oversight; it doesn't affect mainline much (but S10 The Flaming Sword in Dead Water has a +5 income for example) but a lot of UMCs change the income and GPV value, sometimes making it by far the better option to wait around generating income rather than ending the scenario early.

I think the game could be more clear about the early finish:
  • The exact amount could be specified in the scenario objectives (instead of just "Early finish bonus." change it to "Early finish bonus: x gold per turn.")
  • I think there could also be an entry about carryover in the in-game Help since it's a fundamental part of Wesnoth gameplay, especially since the mainline campaigns use two completely different carryover systems (40% + min. gold vs. max{80%, min. gold} ) which I'm sure confuses new players.
Thanks for reading; hope this is the right forum for this.
gfgtdf
General Code Maintainer
Posts: 1344
Joined: February 10th, 2013, 2:25 pm

Re: [Interface] Make Early Finish Bonus clearer

Post by gfgtdf »

Inky wrote:I noticed the early finish bonus in scenarios is always 2 + the number of villages on the map, regardless of what the initial income and gold per village setting is.
This was already fixed in wesnoth 1.13.0 or 1.13.1
Inky wrote: The exact amount could be specified in the scenario objectives (instead of just "Early finish bonus." change it to "Early finish bonus: x gold per turn.")
In wesnoth 1.12 the carrover bonus is always as in the formula you mentioned above, i actuall think this is quiet easy and there is already a label which shows the number of villages on the map.
Inky wrote: I think there could also be an entry about carryover in the in-game Help since it's a fundamental part of Wesnoth gameplay, especially since the mainline campaigns use two completely different carryover systems (40% + min. gold vs. max{80%, min. gold} ) which I'm sure confuses new players.[/list]
We wanted to convert all mainline campaigns to the '40% + min. gold' system but for some scenarios its not that easy. For example in LoW scenario5 the intention is that you'll get a lot of gold which is enough for the follwoing 3 scenarios.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
User avatar
Inky
Forum Moderator
Posts: 521
Joined: September 22nd, 2014, 1:02 am
Location: USA

Re: [Interface] Make Early Finish Bonus clearer

Post by Inky »

Thanks for taking the time to respond; sorry I didn't realize this has already been addressed.

I think even though it's simple it would still be nice to have the carryover / early finish system explained in the in-game help. It seems obvious now but it actually took me a long time to realize the early finish was directly related to the number of villages on a map.

Regarding LoW scenarios 5-7, I think raising Scenario 6's min. gold to around 800 and Scenario 7's min. gold to around 450 (on hard) would more or less keep things the same?
Spoiler:
gfgtdf
General Code Maintainer
Posts: 1344
Joined: February 10th, 2013, 2:25 pm

Re: [Interface] Make Early Finish Bonus clearer

Post by gfgtdf »

Inky wrote:Thanks for taking the time to respond; sorry I didn't realize this has already been addressed.

I think even though it's simple it would still be nice to have the carryover / early finish system explained in the in-game help. It seems obvious now but it actually took me a long time to realize the early finish was directly related to the number of villages on a map.
yes specially in 1.13.x where it's now possible to configure the carryover gold more. But note even in 1.12 the foruma is not always this easy: It is for example possible that the number of villages change during a scenario and so does the caryover bonus gold per turn.
Inky wrote: Regarding LoW scenarios 5-7, I think raising Scenario 6's min. gold to around 800 and Scenario 7's min. gold to around 450 (on hard) would more or less keep things the same?
Spoiler:
Yes gameplay wise this shoudl work. But the way it currently is is also story-related: you get a huge amount of gold in 'the surian treasury' (you steal the treasure form the saurians) which you can then spend in the next scenarios.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
User avatar
max_torch
Posts: 356
Joined: July 31st, 2011, 5:54 pm
Location: Gensan, Philippines

Re: [Interface] Make Early Finish Bonus clearer

Post by max_torch »

Regarding LoW scenarios 5-7, I think raising Scenario 6's min. gold to around 800 and Scenario 7's min. gold to around 450 (on hard) would more or less keep things the same?
Right now the carryover gold in LoW isn't working properly in MP, perhaps it's quite dangerous to change things there when it's not yet stable.
User avatar
Chief_Chasso
Posts: 132
Joined: December 15th, 2012, 2:36 am

Re: [Interface] Make Early Finish Bonus clearer

Post by Chief_Chasso »

Inky wrote:I noticed the early finish bonus in scenarios is always 2 + the number of villages on the map, regardless of what the initial income and gold per village setting is.
gfgtdf wrote:This was already fixed in wesnoth 1.13.0 or 1.13.1
Hi guys, I'm not sure I understand what the problem was or what was fixed? The early finish bonus is unrelated to income or GPV, correct? When you say it's fixed, does this mean that the early finish bonus will be tied in with income and/or GPV somehow?
SP Campaign: Rally For Roanic
gfgtdf
General Code Maintainer
Posts: 1344
Joined: February 10th, 2013, 2:25 pm

Re: [Interface] Make Early Finish Bonus clearer

Post by gfgtdf »

It beeing fixed in 1.13.2 means that in 1.13.2 the carryover gold is now 'amount of gold that you'd get per turn if you had all villages captured and no unit upkeep' * 'number of turns left'. The bug was that it was previously possile to get more gold by waiting for that last turn than by finishing the scenario early.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Post Reply