Pickaxes and weaponmechanics

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Pickaxes and weaponmechanics

Post by Vyncyn »

So I was trying to balance a golem unit and noticed something. Pickaxes are made to destroy stone, so naturally they should do more damage.
In the "Sceptre of Fire"-campaign the dwarvish miner uses pierce damage for his pickaxe(which makes sense, as pickaxes have a piercing end). Giving a golem(or other stone-made units) low resistance against pierce damage to amplify pickaxe damage would be the next logical step.
BUT: Stone seems to be nearly indestructible against most other piercing weapons (arrows and spears). Also Spears are far more effective against horses than pickaxes, so changing the pickaxe damage to "impact"(as they have a similar effect to stone as hammers) would seem to make more sense than giving a golem low pierce-resistance. Then again impact damage is (more) useful against heavy-armored units than other physical damage, while pickaxes are relatively useless.
:hmm:
I'm not sure where I want this thread going, but I have a few ideas for this problem:
-Simple solution: ignore pickaxes, since they hardly make any appearance in the game
-Change damagetype. I read in another thread(don't remeber which one :| ) the weaponmechanics and resistance resemble more of an dodge chance (for example horse vs spear/sword: piercing a charging horse with a long spear is easier than trying to hit it with a small sword, so spears do ultimately more damage to cavalry than swords). Pickaxes aren't used like spears(piercing), but like swords or hammers(swinging). So change the damage type of pickaxes to impact (as blade seems to have the same problem as spears against stone).
-Split each weapondamage into two types: "execution"or"weapontype"(piercing,swinging,arcane,fire,cold) and "area of effect"(punctually(spears and pickaxes),linear(swords and axes) and areal(hammers and maces)). It could also be used to define other hybrid weapons(firearrows,cannonballs) better.
This would obviously complicate the game and go against the KISS-principle, so it's probably not gonna be in the mainline, but it could be an interesting theme for some addons or just an Idea to talk about (maybe there are simpler solutions).
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Pickaxes and weaponmechanics

Post by doofus-01 »

I wouldn't worry about it too much, the real world has shades of gray that would make the game too complicated. A rubber mallet and a hammer are both "impact", but they aren't interchangeable tools.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Gyra_Solune

Re: Pickaxes and weaponmechanics

Post by Gyra_Solune »

Mmm, plus, pickaxes are used in a very specific way when mining, hinging on hitting the same spot repeatedly over and over to break apart stone - in the heat of battle, though, that's not really doable, since even the slowest of stony enemies will be moving around somewhat, and it takes a looooot of strikes to mine with a pickaxe. The effect against an actual enemy then would end up being much the same as a subpar spear, as it's short, awkward, and not designed as an actual weapon.