[engine] Unit Cycling

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Gidoza

[engine] Unit Cycling

Post by Gidoza »

I think this is an engine thing so please forgive me if I'm wrong as this is my first idea and introduction here. :)

I want to thank the developers for making such a simple, diverse, and fun game, and especially for sharing all the internal mechanics, which really makes any game more user-friendly and enjoyable.

I am calling my idea "Unit Cycling." It stems from the fact that when I have many of my units strategically SPREAD OUT everywhere, I sometimes will lose track of a couple in a turn and completely forget to move them. Since the "Do you really want to end your turn?" message can be annoying and unconstructive, I have this alternative that is really simple and will enable all units to be easily tracked in a turn.

Perhaps below the minimap, have two new buttons: "Next" and "Skip." Here are what these buttons do.

NEXT

1. Clicking on this button will select the next unit you have. You can click on this button an infinite number of times and it will just cycle through every unit until you get through them all, then the cycle will start over again.
2. HOWEVER - any unit that has it's light bulb burnt out or has been "skipped" will not be grabbed by the "Next" button.

SKIP

1. If a unit's light bulb isn't burnt out and you're done with it for this turn, just click on this button and it'll move on to the next unit like the "NEXT" button - this unit will now be ignored by NEXT until the following turn.
2. The unit may still be selected manually if you change your mind and given orders again. Skip will need to be re-issued if this is done.

FINALLY

If all units either have their light bulbs burnt out or have been "skipped," then the "Next" and "Skip" buttons become grayed out, indicating that you have gone through all your units for this turn.

Simple, non-complicated. I would be pleased to hear your feedback. Thank you. :)
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: [engine] Unit Cycling

Post by Ravana »

There is most useful hotkey n for this.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Ravana wrote:There is most useful hotkey n for this.
Plus space for skipping.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I think it would be beneficial to add these to the GUI, if we have the screen space - especially for new or occasional players who don't have the hotkeys in their heads.
Gidoza

Post by Gidoza »

Ohhhh, thank you! This wasn't self-evident at all. I looked under "Commands" in the Help part of the game and it didn't mention anything like this (that's where I would have expected such a thing to be). Thank you so much!

This thread can be deleted. :)

EDIT: Actually I'd make just one suggestion anyways.

Hitting spacebar should NOT turn off the light of a unit - otherwise I can't remember which ones really haven't moved if I change my mind later because there's no light to show me that they really still have movement left!