[mainline] Necromancer stats

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Ranger

[mainline] Necromancer stats

Post by Ranger »

I apologize if this matter was already discussed before but a quick search did not return anything similar so I'll make this thread.

The question is: why Necromancer has 70hp?
I mean we are looking on a magic user here, not a warrior and it looks like the developers agree that this kind of units should have less hp than the same level grunts.
It shows the ArchMage(54hp) and SilverMage(48hp) and Mage Of Light(47hp) follow this pattern too, so why should N. has as much hp as Elvish Champion?
I propose to reduce his hp to a more credible level. My bet would be 58hp.
Calling a spear a spoon and then saying "our spoons are different, WINR," is kind of unsatisfying, isn't it?
Implementor37

Re: [mainline] Necromancer stats

Post by Implementor37 »

My guess is to emphasize a Necromancer's preparedness to become a lich.
Necromancer Unit Description wrote:One of the pinnacles of what is considered ‘black magic’ is the art of necromancy, the terrible ability to awaken the dead with false life. This discovery alone caused humanity’s condemnation of black magic, for the nightmarish things it has made real have given fear a vast new arsenal.

This ability, in all aspects, is the first step towards cheating death of its ultimate prize."
Since the Necro is getting close to the lich-dom transformation, he/she has probably cast several spells which serve as "first steps" to lichdom. Probably a side-effect of that would be the great number of hitpoints (70) that we see in the current Necro. After all, how could any Necro hope to extend life indefinetely (the goal of necromancy) if they cannot do so partially?

It probably also has something to do with Necro/Lich balancing. The Necro has a weaker melee (and no melee drain) and fewer, albeit stronger, ranged attacks. As a result, increasing the Necro's hitpoints would make the Necro a more viable option than the Lich.
Author of End of the Legion, available now on the 1.12 and 1.13 servers!
Supporter of the addition of the Aragwaithi into mainline.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

My guess is it's for balance reasons.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Ranger

Post by Ranger »

Implementor37 wrote:My guess is to emphasize a Necromancer's preparedness to become a lich.
Since the Necro is getting close to the lich-dom transformation, he/she has probably cast several spells which serve as "first steps" to lichdom. Probably a side-effect of that would be the great number of hitpoints (70) that we see in the current Necro. After all, how could any Necro hope to extend life indefinetely (the goal of necromancy) if they cannot do so partially?
It is as good explanation as any but my feeling is that this game's lore was written after balancing the gameplay and unit stats, not the other way around as one might think. So to know the motives for I would look for the gameplay reasons.
Implementor37 wrote: It probably also has something to do with Necro/Lich balancing. The Necro has a weaker melee (and no melee drain) and fewer, albeit stronger, ranged attacks. As a result, increasing the Necro's hitpoints would make the Necro a more viable option than the Lich.
bumbadadabum wrote:My guess is it's for balance reasons.
Makes sense. So, whatever hp Necro would have, it would have to be more than that of the Lich. My guess is that, gameplay-wise, N/Lich is more geared towards melee combat with his drain(plague) attack. This complicates things, since there are so many Undead enemies is the campaings and changing Necro/Lich hp would make them easier, though not by much, I guess.
Calling a spear a spoon and then saying "our spoons are different, WINR," is kind of unsatisfying, isn't it?
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

bumbadadabum wrote:My guess is it's for balance reasons.
Precisely. My understanding is that the Sorcerer and Necromancer are some of the only leveled units in the Undead faction that don't melt when faced with arcane or fire damage. Of course, this can also be achieved by Necrophages, but they, in my opinion, are generally less useful.