Real hitting statistics

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
emdot

Real hitting statistics

Post by emdot »

IMO most moaning about hitting is because in battle dialog there is only base chance to hit without including major factor - terrain. Include this and show real chance and there will be much less complaints.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Real hitting statistics

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

emdot wrote:IMO most moaning about hitting is because in battle dialog there is only base chance to hit without including major factor - terrain. Include this and show real chance and there will be much less complaints.
What do you mean, 'base chance to hit'? there are no factors to hit chance *except* terrain!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

well.. any magic damage is always 70% chance to hit..no matter what terrain.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

and marksman ability - 60%, but I don't really understand your question emdot ...
Circon

Post by Circon »

emdot, it appears that you want terrain to be included in the chance to hit calculation, so that the "real" chance will show up.
It is. It does.
The displayed chance to hit in the battle screen includes all factors.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

there are only two factors - whatever CTH terrain gives you, then any special abilities involved that change CTH (of which magical and marksman are examples).
Wesnoth Philosophy wrote: What I suspect most people would immediately consider for a chance-to-hit system would be a formula that relies on the attacker's skill with the weapon, and the defender's defensiveness, as well as the terrain the defender is in.

The way Wesnoth does it is in fact so insanely simple that I suspect many people who did not know how it is done will think 'what a naive, silly system!' when they read the following:
The chance to hit is taken entirely from the defender's defensive rating in the terrain it is in.
So, Elves are always 30% chance to hit in forest, and 60% chance to hit in grassland. The attacker's skill doesn't come into the equation.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Please note thread New insight into statistics problems discussing some real bugs found as a result of more careful scrutiny of the code.