[mainline]Based characteristics in genres

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Loh_BR

[mainline]Based characteristics in genres

Post by Loh_BR »

Well, been a while I've been thinking about this. Do not know if topic applies to the game engine, but okay.
I noticed that some units, human and elven, recruited by the player can come either male or female. I also noticed that no characteristics that influence it, generating new strategies for the game.

Dear developers, I am presenting this idea very general way, because I believe that the opening will give the most varied possibilities of being implemented without unbalancing the game mechanics.

Basically, the idea is divided into four parts to be analyzed:
1. Characteristics affecting units of the same gender or the opposite gender;
2. The effect would be restricted only human units, elven and dwarf (maybe orcs);
3. Affect all neighboring units or just the allied or enemy units neighboring;
4. This characteristic only affects positively or negatively, or both at the same time (on allies / enemies units or male / female units).

About the possible effects, already thought of some that could be applied:
  • Alignment -> temporarily changing the alignment to the affected unit that has the characteristic unit;
  • Experience -> subtracting the gain experience by 1, or even by adding 1;
  • Scams -> You can change the value of the damage or the number of shots;
  • Special -> Ask a nearby enemy unit to attack from behind, taking damage corresponding to which he received from a unit with "Backstab". Units that do not have "Initiative" initiative win or lose you have. Do units lose the characteristic "Defensive" case have, etc..
  • Resistances -> Increase or decrease the resistance of the neighboring unit;
  • Def. the Ground -> Reduces or increases defense of land allies or enemies.
Well here is my idea. I know that developers will find in it something that can expand the gameplay of Wesnoth. Sorry my english.
Appreciate the attention and remain at peace ...
♪"No one survives the whole, focus on things so small / But life's objective is to make it meaningful
Only searching for this, that which doesn't exist / Although our ability to relativize remains unclear
"♪
Epica - Sensorium
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: [mainline]Based characteristics in genres

Post by Velensk »

I'm afriad I don't understand what you are suggesting.

It sounds like what you're suggesting is that there be more traits, and that the traits be divided up by gender and have the listed effects. If that is the case, then I can tell you that this isn't really a suggestion for mainline as it would wreck balance in so many ways.

It is actualy already possible to make it so that a unit plays completely differently when it is recruited with a different gender.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I think that he wants to make units influence adjacent units of different gender (specific effects, some for allies, something else for enemies), possibly with some other influence from units of the same gender. Like gentlemen Duelists being reluctant to hit enemy women and doing less damage because of that.

I think that this idea could end up in quite an interesting add-on, as I know the developers, it would make the game too complicated and the point of the game is to be simple.
In my campaign, there are some (enemy only) Succubi/Incubi that have an ability that makes adjacent enemy units of different gender unable to attack, but I didn't develop this further.
Loh_BR

Post by Loh_BR »

Velensk, Dugi understood what I wrote and practically made ​​a summary. Sorry for not being more clear in my writing.
Dugi, you're there, maybe you should take advantage of this in an add-on it. If the idea of ​​Wesnoth is to be simple and it is already very good as well, hehe. It's like they say: "If improving too, rots."

Here, thank you for the respect and attention.
Stay at peace ...
♪"No one survives the whole, focus on things so small / But life's objective is to make it meaningful
Only searching for this, that which doesn't exist / Although our ability to relativize remains unclear
"♪
Epica - Sensorium
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

Dugi wrote:I think that he wants to make units influence adjacent units of different gender (specific effects, some for allies, something else for enemies), possibly with some other influence from units of the same gender. Like gentlemen Duelists being reluctant to hit enemy women and doing less damage because of that.
This concept ends up in nonsence like woman in role of tank.
Tanking woman:
TheCripple

Post by TheCripple »

Xudo wrote:
Dugi wrote:I think that he wants to make units influence adjacent units of different gender (specific effects, some for allies, something else for enemies), possibly with some other influence from units of the same gender. Like gentlemen Duelists being reluctant to hit enemy women and doing less damage because of that.
This concept ends up in nonsence like woman in role of tank.
Tanking woman:
Putting aside how the entire 'tank' role is kind of nonsense to begin with (you'll notice that actual tanks tend to have gigantic guns on them, and don't just sit there basically soaking damage), gender is basically irrelevant - we aren't talking about unsophisticated, technology free combat where brute force is the name of the game. Carefully shaped sheets of steel (or just mail), well made weaponry, and martial training all get you far, far further than brute force*. It's also worth noting that WINR is a design principle, the game contains magic, etc.

This isn't to say that I like the concept in question, largely because it doesn't make sense. When someone's busy trying to stick a spear through your face, their gender is the last thing you care about, assuming that they are armored lightly enough that you even have any idea in the first place. Much more pertinent are things like where the spear is, what they're doing with it, how they fight, and how you can get through this fight unimpaled. Similarly, the gender of the person next to you when you've got impending spear problems is also an irrelevant detail, and you care far more about what they are doing in the fight, particularly as concerns things that help you remove the impending spear problems you're having.

*I say this as someone on the larger side who has the mass and leverage to employ brute force, who routinely does medieval sparring, and who routinely takes out people who are larger than I am who can employ a lot more brute force, along with having the sort of reach one gets when they are upward of two meters.
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

As today the gender of Undead has started to be a subject for a discussion on IRC,
I would like to pick up on this interesting issue and see this thread being continued
(surely NOT to dump on the efficiency of the mainline team,
or to point unreasonably to a lack of motivation on the part of users, neither to discuss
whether the guess that "genderless monsters that aren't cute are always male"
might be justified on a general basis.

By coincidence, I am currently reading this certainly impressive novel of Wesnoth.
Not only am I taken aback by the description of the magnificence of the Knalgan underhalls,
but also how a new light is shed on the mindset of trolls, the dwarven society and: the Undead!
I particularly appreciate the remarkably well thought out paper of a female Lich !
Even more: that young Lich-girl is a kind soul (surely, the bad guys have a different point of view),
a brave fighter for the good cause, far from some gradually-increasing insanity
(and, at the very least, attractive ... so there we have it).

I think the gender distinction should bring an added value to the game,
especially if there were distinct, gender-specific traits as suggested by Loh_BR.
Elves and mages may present a beacon, but IMO female units are still struggling for
recognition and equal rights in BfW, the majority of campaigns glorify male protagonists.

Regarding the aforementioned discussion: it doesn´t make sense to me,
that becoming/being undead should necessarily result in gender-neutrality,
despite of having spontaneously no idea how to display gender differences with walking corpses.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Logically, walking corpses should still posess those gender traits that haven't fallen off yet, but they wouldn't be able to procreate with them.