Make night darker, twilight warmer

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Make night darker, twilight warmer

Post by Iris »

Crow_T wrote:bumbadadabum do you think adding saturation and lightness sliders would be helpful in this based on fiddling with RGB sliders? I wonder how difficult that would be codewise- I feel users could do some more stuff with those controls (dream sequences, flashbacks, petrifying parts of maps, etc.).
Patches are always welcome!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Crow_T wrote:I was just thinking of this thread about 15 min ago :D
Me too! :P
bumbadadabum do you think adding saturation and lightness sliders would be helpful in this based on fiddling with RGB sliders? I wonder how difficult that would be codewise- I feel users could do some more stuff with those controls (dream sequences, flashbacks, petrifying parts of maps, etc.).
I think this feature would be nice to have, and it has been discussed in #wesnoth-dev as well. Perhaps it will get coded in the near future. No promises, though.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

bumbadadabum wrote:Hey everyone, I tried changing some more values, and this is what I've come up with so far (Regular, Summer and Winter schedules).
interesting :)
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I was thinking about this for some time and I concluded that somehow... it doesn't look like night looks. Neither the original night, nor this improved night. I went outside, away from any artificial light at night several times and tried to describe how does it look.
The experiment:
So, the night doesn't look like this:
Spoiler:
but rather like this:
Spoiler:
I wonder if it would be possible to add colour saturation decrease (or just plain greyscale) and blurring to [time] schedules to make the nights more night-like.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

As you said, nights are not grey, but very dark and almost black. The terrain you posted should thus look more like this:
Dark Night
Units should be darkened as well, since you cannot see people in dark forests at night at all. Maybe leave their eye glow in.

Spoiler:
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Crendgrim wrote:As you said, nights are not grey, but very dark and almost black.
Where did I say that?
Crendgrim wrote:... On a more serious note, this is where realism and gameplay clash. And gameplay > realism in all cases.
How does this affect gameplay? You can still see everything if it's grey and a bit blurred. I didn't ask to automatically hide all units standing in forests at night (this can be already done as an ability anyway).
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Dugi wrote:
Crendgrim wrote:As you said, nights are not grey, but very dark and almost black.
Where did I say that?
I'm sorry – I misread your post. In this case, replace "As you said" with "in my experience": At least in the forest at night I can see nothing if the moon isn't bright / hidden by clouds.
Dugi wrote:
Crendgrim wrote:... On a more serious note, this is where realism and gameplay clash. And gameplay > realism in all cases.
How does this affect gameplay? You can still see everything if it's grey and a bit blurred. I didn't ask to automatically hide all units standing in forests at night (this can be already done as an ability anyway).
For me, gameplay refers to more than just the mechanics of the game. It is the experience. And having washed-out, blurry graphics certainly distracts from this experience. It is not correct, just as the current style is not correct either. It is, however, looking worse due to the blurriness.
Looking at the mechanics alone, there's a further point to make here: If the landscape looks different at night, if only slightly, it makes it way harder to recognize which terrain you're looking at. For a strategy game, this is a no-go.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Well, okay :|
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

It'll never happen, but:

Dugi's idea of blurring the landscape could birth an interesting feature- giving chaotic units a better field of vision at night, while penalizing lawful units, and vice-versa. :hmm: Basically a fog of war based on alignment and ToD.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Is it possible right now for UMC to change the overlays that are used? I am assuming it must be yes, since you can add custom TOD's and presumably that allows you to select the overlay? The blur is probably not possible though, although it seems like a reasonable feature request to allow filters like that on the whole screen.

Somehow the general theme of mainline wesnoth is bright colors / cheery -- the night is a deep majestic blue, and even the skeletons are happy and laughing. It's of course not a game made for children but it is certainly family friendly.

It would amuse me if someone tried to use the wesnoth engine to make a horror-themed campaign, like Amnesia the Dark Descent or something -- that's what the grey & blurry night overlay reminds me of. Maybe realtime first-person point of view is necessary to get the best results in that genre though.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I don't think a blur is a good idea - it will be very exhausting on players' eyes.

Playing with desaturation might give some results though.