Separate MP from SP

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Re: Separate MP from SP

Post by JaMiT »

Crow_T wrote:
If something was lost via versioning, then it lacks the popularity necessary for it to have a maintainer, hence lacks the support necessary to be considered for mainline.
That's not a very good argument considering that in all FOSS projects there is a fluctuation of volunteer contributers.
Sorry, but I do not see your logic here. Sure, the volunteer base fluctuates, but how does that relate to having a maintainer? Well, I could point out that two campaigns were dropped from mainline in version 1.1.2. I think I recall reading somewhere that one reason they were dropped was the lack of maintainers. One of the dropped campaigns (Son of the Black Eye) was restored in version 1.3.3, so it would seem like there is a fluctuation of mainline content that mirrors the fluctuation of volunteer contributers. Which reinforces my argument.
Crow_T wrote:And I'm not saying to change all of the numbers, but just expand mainline factions with alternative units that could add more dimension to campaigns.
There is a serious problem with this proposal. Adding units to multiplayer factions would have zero effect on campaigns. (Why? Because single-player is separate from multiplayer.)

That brings me back to what might be my most important question from earlier: Can you give an example of a SP mainline campaign opting to not do something because of MP balance?
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

This is already how things are done. There just aren't many campaigns that take it very far.

Nothing in single player is being held back or restricted for the sake of multiplayer balance. If there are any punches pulled, it's for the sake of simplicity and consistency. Remember that KISS runs through Wesnoth's veins.
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

Gambit wrote:This is already how things are done.
That was my initial reaction as well, but there must be something causing the OP's frustration. Still, until Crow_T comes up with an example of what's been causing this frustration, I suppose there is nothing that can be done.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Well my initial thought was that it was about topics like this one, which explains my first replies in this thread. I recognize that if it was the case, the OP was worded in a weird fashion and it seems to have been dragged on the subject of MP factions vs SP recruit lists and custom units in SP, which, as we all pointed out, is already widely in use, in mainline like in UMCs. Or maybe the OP is just plain mistaken, it's hard to tell...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

Dixie wrote:Well my initial thought was that it was about topics like this one, which explains my first replies in this thread.
I don't see any mention in that thread about making the change only in single-player. It was evaluated as a suggestion affecting both single- and multi- player and shot down because of how it would impact one of those. So maybe the OP is getting frustrated because suggestions not labeled as "single-player only" are not being treated as "single-player only"?