[interface] Some ideas and feedback on the add-ons view

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
SFault

[interface] Some ideas and feedback on the add-ons view

Post by SFault »

i) Could it be possible to add check boxes in front of each add-on, so that the player can tick the ones he/she wants to download instead of downloading them one by one?

ii) There could be some tags related to each add-on so the player could filter the ones he/she does or does not want to be displayed. E.g. if I do not want to download WIP campaigns I could filter them out of the list

iii) Currently the buttons at the bottom are named "OK" and "Cancel" but their actions are more related to "Install" and "Exit". Perhaps these could be changed.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
alluton

Re: [interface] Some ideas and feedback on the add-ons view

Post by alluton »

SFault wrote:i) Could it be possible to add check boxes in front of each add-on, so that the player can tick the ones he/she wants to download instead of downloading them one by one?

ii) There could be some tags related to each add-on so the player could filter the ones he/she does or does not want to be displayed. E.g. if I do not want to download WIP campaigns I could filter them out of the list

iii) Currently the buttons at the bottom are named "OK" and "Cancel" but their actions are more related to "Install" and "Exit". Perhaps these could be changed.
There was some thread considering add-ons server awhile ago. Having tags,multiple download and marking WIP/ not working add-ons were some of the suggestions. If I still recall correctly official answer was something like: "Normally I would say patches welcome but entire add-ons server requires rewriting."

edit: Seems I can't find that thread anymore. Hopefully someone else has seen it as will.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

i) Could it be possible to add check boxes in front of each add-on, so that the player can tick the ones he/she wants to download instead of downloading them one by one?
+1 and for updates too. Does the 1.11 version show that the player has a particular addon already installed as well?

A way to sort installed addons by name/date installed would be nice as well- currently they seem to be randomly thrown into the list.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

alluton wrote:
SFault wrote:i) Could it be possible to add check boxes in front of each add-on, so that the player can tick the ones he/she wants to download instead of downloading them one by one?

There was some thread considering add-ons server awhile ago. Having tags,multiple download and marking WIP/ not working add-ons were some of the suggestions. If I still recall correctly official answer was something like: "Normally I would say patches welcome but entire add-ons server requires rewriting."

edit: Seems I can't find that thread anymore. Hopefully someone else has seen it as will.
Well, one of the Google Summer of Code proposals is a add-on server rewrite.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Hang on a sec, what is this all about?
Are you good at interacting with other players? Our developer community is friendly, but the player community can be a bit rough.
C'mon, we are very nice here! :whistle:

One thing Blender does during the GSOC is encourage students to be active on the forums, I think this can help a lot with feedback and testing (and cheerleading).
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

SFault wrote:iii) Currently the buttons at the bottom are named "OK" and "Cancel" but their actions are more related to "Install" and "Exit". Perhaps these could be changed.
This does not really hold true for the Publish and Delete options that appear at the end of the list when you have a .pbl file for an add-on.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

It is a point that ok and cancel are a bit odd, though.
I've downloaded the add-on I want, am taken back to the add-ons screen, and if I press OK then I...download the add-ons on top of the list when I was expecting to get back to the game menu.
Same goes for cancel, one could easily expect it to mean "uninstall what I've just downloaded", and it's only by process of elimination that one can discern its true purpose.
And I think many people that complain about the add-ons server haven't seen the good work down in the 1.11 series. THe marking for installed, out of date (for your own UMC) and updateable, alongside the dependencies module, are great leaps forward.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.