Is anyone working on a campaign based on Game of Thrones?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
McMick

Is anyone working on a campaign based on Game of Thrones?

Post by McMick »

I'm a fan of the books and tv show, and even though some of you might gag at the thought, I'd be really interested in playing out campaigns based on the series. Searching these forums yielded surprisingly little about it, except for a couple of book and boardgame reviews. I did find a download for a map of Westeros, but that's about it. Anyhow, I could see how a huge amount of custom content would be needed for something like this, but it could be pretty awesome IMHO. Sorry for not being a contributor myself. I suppose I could try to do dialogues or something, if needed.
Last edited by McMick on May 8th, 2013, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
pauxlo

Re: Has anyone been working on a campaign based on GoT?

Post by pauxlo »

For us who don't know the acronym, could you spell it out?

I suppose a main reason not to base a campaign on a television or book series would be copyright. Everything to be published on the add-on server must be licensed with GNU GPL, and I suppose you wouldn't easily get permission from the copyright owners to do so.
Elfarion

Re: Has anyone been working on a campaign based on GoT?

Post by Elfarion »

pauxlo wrote:For us who don't know the acronym, could you spell it out?

I suppose a main reason not to base a campaign on a television or book series would be copyright. Everything to be published on the add-on server must be licensed with GNU GPL, and I suppose you wouldn't easily get permission from the copyright owners to do so.
I had to think a moment until I figured that he's talking about Game of Thrones.

As pauxlo has pointed out (and the FPIs mention) content on copyright-protected material is a problem. Apart from that there was a discussion in this thread about the possibility of making a "Game of Houses" campaign. It would be set in Wesnoth (or the Wesnoth world) of course. But it would be similar to the story of GoT (different nobles fighting for power etc.)
"Each of mankind's steps towards tomorrow is a breaking of today's laws."
- Sergej Lukianenko
McMick

Re: Is anyone working on a campaign based on Game of Thrones

Post by McMick »

I just figured since there was so much fan-made GoT stuff out there already it would be OK, Wesnoth being non-commercial and all. Didn't realize so much was involved.

I'd be happy with a clone/parody if it stuck closely with the elements that made the book/tv series great. I feel like a lot of it could translate well to the Wesnoth platform.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

If someone makes such a thing simply for their own personal use/enjoyment, that's fine; nobody will have any issue with that. The problem is that if content based on copyrighted material is distributed through the add-on server, (which one would likely want to do if one were to put in the effort of making a GoT mod) that makes the Wesnoth project liable to legal action, which is a risk we aren't willing to take.

However, as I understand it, if you (or anyone) were to make such a mod and distribute it to users through your own means, (like your own website or server) that doesn't put Wesnoth at risk. Of course, technically it's still not legal, but since the Wesnoth project isn't involved/endorsing it by hosting the copyrighted content, you could probably get away with it. IIRC, someone once did that and made a Star Wars total conversion of Wesnoth... but it was based on a very old version of Wesnoth and I doubt it's still around.

Please note that I'm not a developer, so I don't speak with authority on any of this... I've just been around long enough to have seen numerous previous times when someone suggests "we should have an add-on based off of X".
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:However, as I understand it, if you (or anyone) were to make such a mod and distribute it to users through your own means, (like your own website or server) that doesn't put Wesnoth at risk.
Discussing such things is forbidden, nevertheless. Discussion, development, and distribution of a thematic clone should be fine, though. (Though I don’t know the series, so I don’t know what that would entail.)
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Not intending to argue, (I understand that this is a touchy subject, and I'll drop it after this) but I found the thread for the Star Wars TC I had mentioned, and there Gambit doesn't seem to disapprove of "discussing such things"- though of course distribution through wesnoth.org is an obvious no-no.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Besides the issues with hosting though...
In the case of GRR Martin and his works, he has requested that fans not make fanfiction or other fan arts of them, and has done for many years. As a fan and a writer or fanfiction, I agree with the following statement that he made a few years ago asking his fans to respect his works by not writing ASoIaF fanfics.

For more detail:http://grrm.livejournal.com/151914.html
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:Not intending to argue, (I understand that this is a touchy subject, and I'll drop it after this) but I found the thread for the Star Wars TC I had mentioned, and there Gambit doesn't seem to disapprove of "discussing such things"- though of course distribution through wesnoth.org is an obvious no-no.
So, the thing is, most of these things could be protected under fair use, but Wesnoth does not have a legal team on hand to figure that out or to defend ourselves if something goes wrong.

For that reason, we do not allow distribution of these resources on our official assets even though it could be legal and we really don't even want you to coordinate their development here on the forums either. We're playing it safe.

As a small concession, community members may advertise their projects in Off-topic or Game Development as they could with any other third party games.

Also this particular idea in this particular forum happens to be a Frequently Proposed Idea, so this thread is bad mojo on multiple fronts. Locked.