[interface] Screen dragging

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
cKomuHKa

[interface] Screen dragging

Post by cKomuHKa »

I always have a problem with navigation when playing in window mode.
It's uncomfortable to navigate with mini-map.
Why not use, for example, the middle mouse button for dragging the main screen (like a picture in Photoshop with "space" pressed)?
I saw this possibility in some online-strategies and it's extremely useful!
Ceres
Forum Regular

Re: [interface] Screen dragging

Post by Ceres »

You know you can navigate the map by simply putting your mouse at the window borders, right? I find that much more convenient than click-and-drag.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

cKomuHKa wrote:Why not use, for example, the middle mouse button for dragging the main screen (like a picture in Photoshop with "space" pressed)?
You have been able to do this since 1.3.x or so (maybe even earlier, my memory is flaky) unless you have the Middle-click scrolling option in Preferences → Advanced Preferences disabled (it is enabled by default), or SDL doesn’t recognize your middle mouse button for whatever reason.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
cKomuHKa

Post by cKomuHKa »

Ceres wrote:You know you can navigate the map by simply putting your mouse at the window borders, right? I find that much more convenient than click-and-drag.
In windowed mode you need to move cursor on the border precisely. Or you can switch on option "Keep scrolling when mouse leaves window" and see the map border when switching to Skype. Both variants do not satisfy me.
Last edited by cKomuHKa on March 24th, 2013, 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
cKomuHKa

Post by cKomuHKa »

shadowmaster wrote:You have been able to do this since 1.3.x or so (maybe even earlier, my memory is flaky) unless you have the Middle-click scrolling option in Preferences → Advanced Preferences disabled (it is enabled by default), or SDL doesn’t recognize your middle mouse button for whatever reason.
I tried it. It is not dragging and it's totally inconvenient.
I suggest option "button press, then drag, then button release". That would be good for a little screen sliding, while minimap is useful for global navigation.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

cKomuHKa wrote:I tried it. It is not dragging and it's totally inconvenient.
It drags the viewport if you hold the middle button down while you move the mouse.

I don’t think that is inconvenient at all...
cKomuHKa wrote:I suggest option "button press, then drag, then button release".
This would be really inconvenient for me, though, since I am prone to misclicking.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
cKomuHKa

Post by cKomuHKa »

shadowmaster wrote:This would be really inconvenient for me, though, since I am prone to misclicking.
How can you miss whole game screen?