Improved New Units!

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I really like those =)
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I like them a lot less than I did last time I saw them, for some reason. Have you changed them?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
scott

Post by scott »

Last time their armor was all switched over to grayish-green-brown. These new ones look like they stepped in mud. What if the shininess were just toned down? Also, is the new ranger now indistinguishable from the new avenger?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Elvish Pillager wrote:I like them a lot less than I did last time I saw them, for some reason. Have you changed them?
Yeah, I replaced the mega-man boots with ones that look like the Hero/Champion boots, but colored brown instead of green.

I changed the strip of cloth hanging down from the belt just a smidge so those few people who thought it was a schlong in the previous revision wouldn't anymore (although, curiously enough, the element was originally just a copy and paste from the current hero/champion, and lo and behold - no one ever thought they looked like they wore codpieces).

Other than that, the only one I really changed was the elvish archer, who had his armor made to be less chunky (he has more of a green tunic than armor, now).
scott wrote:Last time their armor was all switched over to grayish-green-brown.
No, I never changed the color of their armor, ever. You're mistaking my work with neo's. I only changed their boots. Now, it may be due to some terribly applied influences from other games that our elves have boots like megaman, or the marines from starcraft, and you are mistaking boots for armor, but they should not have that, because that makes people like you make that mistake.

And I never did color anything whatsoever gray. The only other possibility is that you are seeing green and brown next to each other and these colors are neutralizing each other.
scott wrote:These new ones look like they stepped in mud. What if the shininess were just toned down?
Easily. I hadn't realized it was that pronounced - keep in mind that it's just a recolor, using photoshop, of the green boots on the champion.
scott wrote:Also, is the new ranger now indistinguishable from the new avenger?
No, one wears a bright purple cloak and trim, the other does not. If there are concerns regarding unit differentiation, then I can easily strip the sword from the ranger. Without that, there is no problem.

I just thought he should have one since he is sometimes a better melee fighter than he is a ranged one (strong trait).
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I mean, I just don't understand how anyone normal can pick option A over option B:

(People who spent significant portions of their lives playing "Final Fantasy", or who have beaten more than one game in the series, do not count as normal.).
silene

Post by silene »

Jetryl wrote:I can easily strip the sword from the ranger.
Please do (or give it another orientation).
Elvish_Pillager

Jetryl wrote:Other than that, the only one I really changed was the elvish archer, who had his armor made to be less chunky (he has more of a green tunic than armor, now).
I really don't like the way it looks now, though. Also, I don't like what you've done with the fighters' shields, and all the changes to the Archers seem bad, except the boots etc. In fact, changing the boots is the only good change I can see at this point, but my opinion could easily change.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Note that I respect silene's sentiment about unit differentiation. One possibility would be giving it the sideways perspective of the marshal's sword. Another is simply removing it.

Here is an in-game shot:
Elvish_Pillager

Those Fighters look better in-game, certainly.
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Those Fighters look better in-game, certainly.
Yeah!!! :)
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
MRhe

Post by MRhe »

Jetryl wrote:Note that I respect silene's sentiment about unit differentiation. One possibility would be giving it the sideways perspective of the marshal's sword. Another is simply removing it.
I like the idea of the ranger/avenger each having a sword, as they are equally (sometimes better) skilled at melee, but currently they do look very similar at first glance. I think repositioning the sword would be helpful, or perhaps some greater differentiation in costume...

Other than that, I really like the new artwork. Elves look more like forest-dwellers rather than spacemen.
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

I like them.

Now they look much less like hippies and more like seasoned warriors
Read about the adventurers of my pen & paper RPG group

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." - Guess who?
LibrarianBrent

Post by LibrarianBrent »

MUCH better. The only problem is that now I can't taunt elf players by yelling "YOU FONDLE TREES FOR MISTER TREE FACE"...

Oh well. :)
MRhe

Post by MRhe »

As a side note, that wose looks really money in-game as well.

Nice work, Jetryl.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

here is the ONE problem with them, which i recognized once i saw the closeup. (before that, i just thought the brown was a problem).

there is a 2-pixel wide strip of green/green brown where his... uh... "thing" should go. it should be the same color as the brown surrounding it. or at least, if its there for shading, lighter not darker.

also, i think it would look better if it was a darker green, not a brownish color. it looks like mud.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm