Random Time of Day

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Jetryl wrote:knights.
Knights are one of the most powerful units in the game, yep.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
telly

Post by telly »

Horsemen are not so great. They're strong in specific situations but its a lot more difficult to use them effectively than it is for your opponent to counter them. Especially northerners if they pile out a ton of goblins.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

about the only real counter to the -is- something with melee pierce, and their trick is to attack during the day, when the goblins are weak.

This is further accentuated by their vastly better mobility than the 'ol goblins, at least on plains.

This is, of course, why I made/pushed_for the_inclusion_of those goblins...
telly

Post by telly »

Goblins might be weaker in the day but they're so much cheaper it doesn't matter. Outnumbered 3 or 4 to 1 theres very little chance you'll win, you just get surrounded and poked to death. And this is a fairly specific situation you're talking about, during the day, on grassland only. You have no chance at all of beating goblins at night or on any kind of beneficial terrain to them.
LibrarianBrent

Post by LibrarianBrent »

Why would you ever use Loyals when Rebels have basically all the same units (except for Horseman) and a terrain advantage besides?
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

LibrarianBrent wrote:Why would you ever use Loyals when Rebels have basically all the same units (except for Horseman) and a terrain advantage besides?
Spearman (vs. Elvish Figher)
Pierce, more melee damage, less ranged damage, first strike, more HP, LAWFUL.

Bowman (vs. Elvish Archer)
Costs less, does less ranged damage, more melee damage, LAWFUL.

Cavalryman (vs Elvish Scout)
More resistances, NO RANGED ATTACK, different defenses, more HP, LAWFUL.

HI (vs. Wose)
Less damage, less HP, WAY DIFFERENT RESISTANCES, no Regenarates, LAWFUL.

Horseman (No comparison)
Fencer (No comparison)

Look: LAWFULNESS! And Horsemen and Fencers and cheaper tanks and cheaper scouts and way cheaper archers besides! and horsemen and more powerful scouts and more melee damage! and units with First Strike and Charge and units with 50% resistance to BLADE of all things and even Horsemen! There's a reason I keep mentioning horsemen!

The Loyalists are very dissimilar to the rebels. I'll fight your Rebels with my Loyalists and win any day, cause they're BETTER.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
telly

Post by telly »

That looks quite convincing initially but you don't mention shaman (very good obviously against horsemen and heavy infantry), elves better mobility and movetypes or the rebels superior level 2 units. I'd say theres not much advantage in their lawfulness either, as elves outdamage them for the rest of the day, especially at night. Supported woses are very hard to deal with as well, only units good against them are cavalry, fencers and mages all of which are a bit weak otherwise.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

why don't you two just play each other, instead of hypothesizing? it will prove a lot more in a shorter amount of time.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote:why don't you two just play each other, instead of hypothesizing? it will prove a lot more in a shorter amount of time.
Because the loser will be likely to claim that it is due to an 'unbalanced' scenario, bad luck, an aberration, or perhaps even admit they are a worse player, and say that this invalidates the game as an objective comparison of factions.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Dave wrote:
turin wrote:why don't you two just play each other, instead of hypothesizing? it will prove a lot more in a shorter amount of time.
Because the loser will be likely to claim that it is due to an 'unbalanced' scenario, bad luck, an aberration, or perhaps even admit they are a worse player, and say that this invalidates the game as an objective comparison of factions.

David
if the game is close i think it proves they are relatively equal factions.

if the game is a "blow-out", it is probably not due to bad luck, and is because the faction is worse, or one is indeed the worse player. which is something good to get out anyway, because whoever is the better player probably knows more about what they're talking about than the other, so his faction was probably better anyway.

of course, they can still not play each other. i don't really care, its just a suggstion.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
MRhe

Re: Random Time of Day

Post by MRhe »

LibrarianBrent wrote:I think that multiplayer games should start at a random time of day. Thus, neither side would have a big advantage; currently, lawful factions are at a distinct disadvantage because the starting time of day will cause night to fall just as the two armies reach one another on most 1 v 1 maps.
I think it would be nice if they started at random times simply for variety's sake. I don't think it matters much in terms of advantage/disadvantage in a given game, unless you're playing one of those tiny maps in which you start on top of each other and basically attack immediately. The opening turns are much more important then.

But normally I don't find it to matter at all.