Random Time of Day

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
LibrarianBrent

Random Time of Day

Post by LibrarianBrent »

I think that multiplayer games should start at a random time of day. Thus, neither side would have a big advantage; currently, lawful factions are at a distinct disadvantage because the starting time of day will cause night to fall just as the two armies reach one another on most 1 v 1 maps.
Last edited by LibrarianBrent on November 28th, 2004, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirit

Post by Kirit »

By moonlight we ride ten thousands side by side
With swords drawn held high our whips and armour shine
Hail to thee our infantry still brave beyond the grave
All sworn the eternal vow the time to strike is now
LibrarianBrent

Post by LibrarianBrent »

Which never got anywhere, and wasn't listed in the FPI thread.

It's better to post an idea that's already been said than to necromance a dead thread.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

LibrarianBrent wrote:Which never got anywhere, and wasn't listed in the FPI thread.

It's better to post an idea that's already been said than to necromance a dead thread.
not really... especially since the way you posted it basically assumed it was the greatest idea ever and should be implemented immediately, regardless of what happened in that other thread (which as i see it was not enough people liked the feature. that happens.)... :P
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
LibrarianBrent

Post by LibrarianBrent »

turin wrote: not really... especially since the way you posted it basically assumed it was the greatest idea ever...
So when you post an idea you think should be included, you shouldn't argue for your own idea? I do not understand your logic.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

LibrarianBrent wrote:
turin wrote: not really... especially since the way you posted it basically assumed it was the greatest idea ever...
So when you post an idea you think should be included, you shouldn't argue for your own idea? I do not understand your logic.
No, you could do that. However, sticking an 'I think' on the beginning could help. (Saying "It should be like this!" isn't condusive to constructive criticizm.)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
LibrarianBrent

Post by LibrarianBrent »

Okay, thanks for the advice. Edited my original post.
telly

Re: Random Time of Day

Post by telly »

LibrarianBrent wrote:I think that multiplayer games should start at a random time of day. Thus, neither side would have a big advantage
Which ever faction benefited from the random time of day that was selected would have a big advantage, so you've changed nothing really.
Loyalists (as they are the only lawful faction) are at a disadvantage on any map because they don't have as good a selection of units as the other factions, the time of day the game starts is irrelevant, they can't beat anyone except drakes normally whatever.

I'm not sure starting in day is necessarily an advantage for chaotic factions anyway. It depends how you play it.
LibrarianBrent

Post by LibrarianBrent »

You bring up good points. Perhaps the loyalists just need to be better...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Loayalists seem to have the most diverse selection, other than (maybe) rebels. they have a tank, an elusive fighter, a normal fighter, a scout-fighter, a scout, an archer, and a mage.

possibly its just the units aren't as good.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

turin wrote:possibly its just the units aren't as good.
Horsemen are great. Cavalrymen are great. Bowmen are great. Fencers are great. HIs are great. Spearmen are great. Mages are... not so good.

And you can only lose if A) you use them in the wrong situations or B) your opponent is Undead. :roll:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
LibrarianBrent

Post by LibrarianBrent »

Loyals seem to have all the bases covered, but are individually lacking, especially in upgrade paths when compared to the Rebels, who have all the diversity + a special terrain advantage.

There needs to be a second upgrade line for the Bowman, and there needs to be a level three Fencer tree unit. Also, the Javelineer should be implemented to allow the Spearman to keep its range against some enemies.
Doros

Post by Doros »

I think a lot of people find the Loyalists to be terrible because they AI plays so poorly with them. This is because the AI almost always spends all its money on cavalry men on the first turn. Then it grabs a few villages, but, rather than scouting more and waiting for an advantage, they seem to attack the first unit in range. This causes the cavalry men to be killed pretty easy, and then the enemy's scouts retake all the villages. Now the loyalist AI is left with just a few fighters and basically no villages.

In summary, the AI is generally bent towards a mad offensive, and the loyalist are more of a sit and wait faction (which makes a lot of sense for humans, when you think about it).
telly

Post by telly »

All of the loyalists units are ok just they don't have anything 'overpowered' like assassins or zombies or ghosts or trolls or woses etc etc and get stuck because of low mobility and low defence in any sort of heavy terrain.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Loyalists are very powerful, and often do very well against enemies like orcs, or saurians, or just about anyone except the following:

elves in forest, dwarves in mountains.

You just have to use them correctly.
It is true, though, that their mages require a smidge too much experience to level, given their high cost and the ease of their death.

Their horsemen are hideously powerful, at least when they level up. I saw a game turned around by one loyalist player, near defeat, leveling two horsemen into knights. They proceeded to slaughter about ten orcish units, and completely routed the enemy.

Remember: "Horseyman will save the day."