[mainline] Troops and Heros

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
silviaccio1

[mainline] Troops and Heros

Post by silviaccio1 »

Dear all, I'm new to BFW but I'm very happy to have discovered this beautiful game.
Maybe I'm wrong but seems to me that the units in that game are more single heros than real troops.
I'm missing something?

I suggest to make possible to recruit single heros but also troops, where for troops I intend a unit composed by a certain number of soldiers.
That's not a very original idea, I've foud it in the best game ever in that genre: Swords of Aragorn.

In that game was possible to create (as example) a unit of archers composed by a certain number of elements.
The peple available for recruitment were updated each turn on the basis of the number of villages conquered.

When a unit was destroyed it was not completely removed from game if you won the battle, instead the unit is made again available but decimated (depending from the damage received in battle) and was possible to add new recruits with the drawback of reducing its overall expierence.

Moreover the troops can be trained (spending money) in order to increase its level.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Re: [mainline] Troops and Heros

Post by Crendgrim »

This will not be done for mainline, as this would alter gameplay very massively. It is not the way Wesnoth is designed.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
DMB

Post by DMB »

Welcome to Wesnoth, here game development goes by the KISS principle. (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Maximum fun, minimal learning curve.
That said, Wesnoth is VERY customizable. If you have programming skill it could be possible to do something similar with the engine, though you'd need to be very skilled to pull something off like that without it causing many, many bugs.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Actually, you can do that in WML. It's not necessary to change the core game.
Take a look at the wiki to see how to create an addon.
Friendly,
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Silviacchio1: Welcome to the forums. Make sure you read our stickied threads before posting, as they contain our forum rules and posting guidelines. Your idea is a variation on Frequently Proposed Idea #19.

For cases where multiple entities make up one unit, we have a special ability swarm that works almost as you describe (in case you want to make your own faction using your idea).
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well