[interface]Allow to set enemies as computer

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
jean5

[interface]Allow to set enemies as computer

Post by jean5 »

I remember that old version of wesnoth used to have more playing mode than we currently have,
It used to have a "player vs computer mode" which was just like the current local multiplayer but whith all player except the first being computer by default.
I think that feature was nice and I would be glad to see it in the next version, even implemented in other ways.

Places where that feature can appeare :
-it can be another "solo battle" option in the main menu
-it can be an option "vs computer" in the settings of a battle, either appearing when you choose the map and the era or when you choose players and faction
-it can be an option in the preferences menu, but I think this way would probably not be as accessible as the others are.
Last edited by jean5 on September 11th, 2013, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Days are all the same nightmare, the one who end with death or maybe not?
Captain_Wrathbow

Re: [interface]Allow to set ennemies as computer

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Hmm... perhaps I am not understanding you correctly, but I believe what you are suggesting is already very possible.

Go to Multiplayer from the main menu, but rather than connecting to the server, play a local game. On the sides-setup screen, after choosing map/settings/etc, select the dropdowns for the players on the far left and set the desired sides to be AI-controlled. Then you can play a single local game by yourself against the AI.
jean5

Post by jean5 »

I know you can do that, but if you want to play againts say 8 AI, you have to turn manually the eight others players into AI's,
what I'm proposing would allow to do that in one click (and then you would remain able to change some of thoses computers in humans).
Days are all the same nightmare, the one who end with death or maybe not?
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

So... just a shortcut to make all the other players AIs, to save you from having to select each one and change it?

To be honest, that seems pretty unnecessary to me... it works fine the way it is. It really takes less than a minute to switch the other sides to AIs; it's not that much of an inconvenience.

I suppose, in an ideal Wesnoth, we might as well have an option for that, but realistically speaking, it would be who-knows-how-much coding work for the devs, for a very minimal benefit.
Trilarion

Post by Trilarion »

Why not having AI opponents by default, so you just select the number of players and then all except you are AI? I remember Warlords where you could choose the difficulty level of the AI from plain stupid to somewhat intelligent and there you anyway had to make one selection per player. So I also think its kind of not really neccessary.
alex23

Post by alex23 »

I personally that that it would be far better to make a return button after you chose a game in hot seat as reloading the muktiplayer takes ages with many addons... and if you made only one setting wrong you have to do all again