[mainline] Cheaper recall of peasants

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
rmj

[mainline] Cheaper recall of peasants

Post by rmj »

I just played a scenario where I ended with a half-dozen or so level 0 peasants and woodsmen. But although some were close to leveling up, none were worth recalling since it would cost 20 gold and if they did succeed to level up, they would become a unit that can be recruited for about 15 gold. So perhaps it would be a good idea if level 0 units could be recalled at a cost of about 12 gold.
rmj
Dugi

Re: Cheaper recall of peasants

Post by Dugi »

Btw, the game has a preferences file where various numerical properties of the game are set, like the amount of damage the poison deals, or the number of gold needed to recall units. Because the amount of gold you need to recall units is a setting, you may adjust it as you want.
Max

Post by Max »

there have been dozens of such threads, there's already a feature request for this:
http://gna.org/bugs/index.php?13074

the recall_cost in game config can be changed using lua, doesn't help much because it's a global setting. right now you can use a recall event, filter for those units and modify the sides gold.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

or keep the recall cost at 20gp and change it so that (at least some of) the peasants or other level 0 units become Loyal on advancement to level 1 8)
Spixi

Post by Spixi »

I think it would be better if the recall costs are calculated with the following formula:

MIN(unit.cost+5, 20)

This causes that the recall costs for units with costs < 14 are lower than 20. The +5 is for the XP and the known traits. I think it woulb be fine to recruit an experienced Peasant which will get an advancement and a full heal soon for 13 gold.
watbesh

Post by watbesh »

Changing recall cost for level-0 units can be a little confusing, but very good in campaigns where you must recruit many and many level-0 units (I think Northern Rebirth is not, as you get outlaws in scenario 2).
tr0ll wrote:or keep the recall cost at 20gp and change it so that (at least some of) the peasants or other level 0 units become Loyal on advancement to level 1 8)
...Then I could get many more loyal units in campaigns like The South Guard. Sounds helpful! :lol2:
My MP Eras and Mods with core units and unusual gameplay (version 1.3.1 for Wesnoth 1.12)
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Player attachment to units can be increased by giving a bonus for investing more gold in them and keeping them alive. Having them level up to regular 1-upkeep units is a disincentive to recalling them, resulting in cluttered recall lists. Making lower level units cheaper to recall, while improving consistency in a way, reinforces the notion they are mere fodder.

Sorry i dont understand the South Guard joke :?
watbesh

Post by watbesh »

tr0ll wrote:Sorry i dont understand the South Guard joke :?
My fault. :oops:
Level up a bunch of peasants with good traits to loyal RoyalGuards, and they would help playing middle of a campaign. They would be by far better than the non-loyal units, though they need 3 more kills each.
...But it would little work in the South Guard, a short campaign with some loyal units.
My MP Eras and Mods with core units and unusual gameplay (version 1.3.1 for Wesnoth 1.12)
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I'd support a cheaper recall cost for level 0 units.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
MetalKing

Re: [mainline] Cheaper recall of peasants

Post by MetalKing »

I support the Idea as well. I wonder that Recall doesn't work for 10 Golds like this (recall_cost = 10+lvl*10;)
Recall-Costs for Lvl-1 Units are near to their "New-Prices" (Recruit-Costs) while better Levels are more cheap in Recall than as Recruits. It's strange that a re-recruited (already recruited and then "recalled" resp. an already earlier recruited unit later just supplied unit) Unit is more expensive than a fresh recruited (recruited and supplied) Unit. This Matter is generalized the same of the Matter here for Level-0-Units.
"Sir! We are surrounded by our enemies!" - "Excellent ! We can attack in every direction!"
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein
No Source - No Binary - No Trust!
Map Wesnoth Springs - The great War [200x120],Player=9