[interface]Allow going to the next tip when downloading

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Starlight

[interface]Allow going to the next tip when downloading

Post by Starlight »

A small but nice-to-have feature.
Particularly for newbies.
alluton

Re: [interface]Allow going to the next tip when downloading

Post by alluton »

You mean like when downloading new add-ons? If so I see this feature extremely close to useless.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I suspect he means while downloading an add-on. Not all of us have high-speed Internet connections available, so downloading can take a long time. Reading the tips (or browsing the help file) would be something you could do while you wait. This obviously won't happen if it's difficult to implement, but it would be much more useful if downloading happened in the background so you could even play while it was going on.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

I like the idea too.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

beetlenaut wrote:it would be much more useful if downloading happened in the background so you could even play while it was going on.
This would be awesome. Seeing as the power of computing currently scales faster than the average bandwidth does, it would be a more efficient use of resources.
tuggyne

Post by tuggyne »

This could be useful, although it's not a massively high priority. I'm stuck with rural DSL, and have lots of addons, so updates generally induce me to go do something else for several minutes.
Starlight

Post by Starlight »

beetlenaut wrote:I suspect he means while downloading an add-on. Not all of us have high-speed Internet connections available, so downloading can take a long time. Reading the tips (or browsing the help file) would be something you could do while you wait. This obviously won't happen if it's difficult to implement, but it would be much more useful if downloading happened in the background so you could even play while it was going on.
Thanks for the heads-up. I did mean it becuase of the low internet speeds. I have a 1 Mpbs connection - and if I then want to download something 30 MBs it takes time - which could be used for playing Wesnoth - a big decision when you have only 1 hour on the computer after which you have get back to real life.

I *love* your idea of being able to play in the background while downloads happen. Then it is not a either-or decision.