Add MP cost info (mouse over) to main interface?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: Add MP cost info (mouse over) to main interface?

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

nuorc wrote:Not sure if this "healing terrain" is a joke of yours?
It's not; the healing properties of villages is independent of the flaggable-for-income property, and as such you can have terrains that only get one of the two properties. Oases are a terrain that have the healing property but not the flaggable-for-income property, but there's no indication whatsoever in-game that this is the case.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

I see, thx for the explanation.
I have a cunning plan.
tuggyne

Post by tuggyne »

nuorc wrote:I never saw a fully displayed description of composite terrain, so I'm hesitant to say it's correct. :)
Never wondered about which part determines MP/def...
It depends on how the terrain is defined. A given terrain can combine "best-of" several terrains' movement costs for the unit, "worst-of" for same, and similarly for defense. (It is possible to define some kind of odd ford, for example, that gives merfolk 30% defense for flat and foot units 20% for shallow water, while costing only 1 MP for each like shallow and flat respectively.) In the example of snowy forested hills, defense is set to best of the three, while movement is worst of the three. Most of the time this is sufficiently intuitive that the tooltips may not be needed, but I personally have always found swamp villages (worst MP of swamp or village, worst defense of swamp or village) to be rather odd.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

I don't see a reason for worst of def, either.

Is there a theoretical possibility to see the full terrain info? (Pro'ly in the editor, but I hardly use that.)

I'd suggest an entry to the context menu ('see terrain info'), but I believe the number of entries is scarce.
I have a cunning plan.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

tuggyne wrote:I personally have always found swamp villages (worst MP of swamp or village, worst defense of swamp or village) to be rather odd.
There is no such thing: Villages in swamp are either best defense and worst movement of village and swamp, or, if they're the aquatic ones, just swamp with no best or worst at all. The aquatic village isn't actually village terrain (and the text at the top of the screen naming the terrain type confirms this - the movement and defense values that apply are in parentheses, that the other text says village means nothing).
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Alarantalara wrote:Villages in swamp are either best defense and worst movement of village and swamp, or, if they're the aquatic ones, just swamp with no best or worst at all. The aquatic village isn't actually village terrain (and the text at the top of the screen naming the terrain type confirms this - the movement and defense values that apply are in parentheses, that the other text says village means nothing).
Huh?
I have a cunning plan.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

The gist of what he said is that units don't get village defense or village movement on an aquatic village; they just get the defense and movement of the terrain it's placed on. (This means that if you put a merfolk village on deep water, it'll be inaccessible to some units even if it's adjacent to a shallow water tile. If you put a merfolk village on a swamp, units get the same defense and movement as on plain swamp.)

I'm a little unsure what he's trying to say about swamp villages; it looks like those give the best of swamp or village in terms of both defense and movement. The only village types with an aliasof different from the usual (best of base terrain or village) are the merfolk village and the village overlay, and the latter two also have the same aliasof.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
tuggyne

Post by tuggyne »

Alarantalara wrote:
tuggyne wrote:I personally have always found swamp villages (worst MP of swamp or village, worst defense of swamp or village) to be rather odd.
There is no such thing: Villages in swamp are either best defense and worst movement of village and swamp, or, if they're the aquatic ones, just swamp with no best or worst at all. The aquatic village isn't actually village terrain (and the text at the top of the screen naming the terrain type confirms this - the movement and defense values that apply are in parentheses, that the other text says village means nothing).
My apologies; I hadn't confirmed this part by poking around in terrain WML (although I believe the rest stands); if anything, this drives home how inaccurate even a fairly observant player's beliefs about terrain can be in the absence of more precise data.
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

nuorc wrote:Is there a theoretical possibility to see the full terrain info?
What would you consider to be "full" terrain info?
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

JaMiT wrote:
Well, I can't speak for nuorc but I have a concrete idea of what a terrain info dialog should tell
the player about a certain terrain field.
  • The name of the terrain like it is already presented in the game interface.
  • The more verbose name of the terrain like it is presented to the user of the map editor.
  • The symbol image of the terrain
  • Links to the ingame help topic of the terrain or the base terrains it is composed of.
  • The coordinates of the field asked for the information.
  • If the terrain provides income and if so how much and for whom it does so currently
  • If the terrain provides healing and if so how much.
  • Whether it's a castle or keep tile
  • A down parsed representation of the game mechanics, meaning a formula each for the defense and move value of a unit on the terrain.
  • If the player has selected a unit, I like to see the formulas evaluated for that unit. (not only the result which is already in place)
  • If no unit is selected I like to see the formulas evaluated for the unit standing at that location.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

JaMiT wrote:
Currently I see what's on the map and a typical terrain info like "Grassland (...". I don't find that very informative, so seeing the full description would be progress for me. Maybe it would even be possible to color code movement and defense?

But of course I could very well live with a dialog like fabi suggested. :wink:
I have a cunning plan.