Name for drakes/saurians

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Musashi

Name for drakes/saurians

Post by Musashi »

I heard about how the "drakes" need a new name because they are also saurians. I suggest "Southern Legion" Anyone with other ideas or comments is welcome to post here.
Honor guides my blade
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I still think they should be called Southerners (just as the Orc faction is called Northerners.)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

well..southerners is just a little simple.

its like we couldn't come up with something better so we used notherners name.. just a little different..

of course i have idea
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

SaintDust wrote:well..southerners is just a little simple.

its like we couldn't come up with something better so we used notherners name.. just a little different..

of course i have idea
Simply is good. :)

i think southerners makes perfect sense. just because it is like an opposite of northerners doesn't mean it is bad. IMHO "southern legion" sounds like a ripoff of knalgan alliance, and not even a well executed ripoff.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
eugenelim

Descriptive Faction Names

Post by eugenelim »

I like Knalgan Alliance and Loyalists, because they describe to me the factions primary units: mountainous units (dwarves) and human soldiers (archers and swordsmen) respectively.

With the other factions, the meaning of their faction names are vague. For a first time player, how would I know that Rebels consist largely of elves, and Northerners consist largely of orcs and trolls?

Some suggested names:
The Horde for orcs and trolls (not to be confused with the Dark Hordes campaign)
Slyvan Alliance / Army for elves
The Brood for the drakes

I hope that the basic idea comes across. More suggestions for faction names that describe the faction units would be great.
Firefox - Tabbed browsing, no popups and more!
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Descriptive Faction Names

Post by turin »

you are supposed to have played HttT before playing MP, so you know that the rebels are elves, etc fighting against the loyalists. the orcs live in the north, you learn this from the campaign.
eugenelim wrote:(not to be confused with the Dark Hordes campaign).
this shows the problem with this name. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

'The Horde' is a rip from Warcraft.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

And remember kids, "Wesnoth is not Warcraft"
eugenelim

Re: Descriptive Faction Names

Post by eugenelim »

eugenelim wrote: I hope that the basic idea comes across. More suggestions for faction names that describe the faction units would be great.
:)

Pony up with new names, come on ..

turin, there are more than one campaign that comes with Wesnoth. a first time player may not play HttT before he plays multiplayer. basing faction names on geographical references couples the name with the HttT story.
Firefox - Tabbed browsing, no popups and more!
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

MadMax wrote:'The Horde' is a rip from Warcraft.
warcraft ripped it from a number of other places.
Warhammer, I will bet was one, and, oh... the Mongols?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Horde

Frankly, I wouldn't mind the elves being divided into different regional countries, per se. Not for any reason of internal division - elves would VERY rarely be inclined to such things, but rather for reasons of administration. Despite having magic, the elves don't tart it up for communication. They would use it if they were in dire need ( HINT: Story material for an elven campaign during HttT right here! ), but would otherwise rely on more mundane means of passing information. It's not like they are in the mortality-induced hurry that mankind is.

However, this would be an AWESOME opportunity for someone versed in tolkien's languages to play. Everything is in place - now they can come up with names for things that we only now refer to generically.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Something as a refrence to their Reptillian natures?

Such as.. The Reptillians? The Scaled Ones?
scott

Post by scott »

If anyone is a fan of obscure Piers Anthony books, you'll know dragons are much different from lizards. This may not be reconcilable. I always thought there was something of a slave relationship going on here predicated on the saurians' primitive development (like humans enslaving apes - or vice versa). Now that saurians have magic users and are clearly not dumb, it changes things a little but it could still work. As for a name, I don't know.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

scott wrote:If anyone is a fan of obscure Piers Anthony books, you'll know dragons are much different from lizards.
If anyone is a fan of the Pern series, you'll know that dragons are as similar to lizards as you can get. However, Neither of Them is Wesnoth.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

MadMax wrote:'The Horde' is a rip from Warcraft.
Oh puhleaze!

Like just about anything else we have done that is a 'rip' from Warcraft, it is a common term that has been in literature for at least a hundred years.

In fact, in the case of this word, I think it has been used historically in similiar ways to our usage for at least a thousand years.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

what about

Southern Tribes.
or Southern Alliance