[UMC Rescources] New Unit Abilitys (Potential Megathread?)

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Roraborialis

[UMC Rescources] New Unit Abilitys (Potential Megathread?)

Post by Roraborialis »

Just a quick thread for ability ideas that could be added to the game for future factions/User made factions.
For starters, lets stick to some sort of template to keep the ideas easy to read, I would recommend the following:

Ability name: What is the name of the ability.
Ability type: Is this ability one that belongs to the unit to carry over into all scenarios, or is it just an attack ability? Clarify.
Ability effect: What exactly does it do?
Association: What would this ability represent?
Example: Apply the ability to an existing unit, expansion or otherwise, and explain WHY.
Incorporation balancing: What would it take to balance the ability in said unit? This isn't necessarily for getting it added into the game, but giving a more conceivable example of how the attacks mechanics would work.
Additional resources: What else would be needed for the ability to work?
Other: Anything you would like to add.

End your posts with:

Thoughts on the above: A few observations and/or words of praise on the last person on the threads ideas.
Feel free to swap the order as needed, if your ability inflicts a status effect that isn't in game, list the status effect immediately instead of trying to, Ye know, explaining how to balance it to someone who has no clue what dazing is.

An example of it in use:
Ability name: Shock
Ability type: Attack ability, on hit.
Ability effect: Dazes the enemy on hit.
Additional resources: A daze effect, it reduces the hit units defense rating by 10-20% for a turn.
Association: It would represent attacks that are either so sudden or fierce that the enemy would be left wondering what the hell hit them.
Example: The dwarven thundersticks would be a good example of a unit that would have shock, as the attack is frighteningly loud, sudden, and devastating. Such an attack would render a unit trying to regain its bearing while it tries to figure out what just happened.
Incorporation balancing: Weaken the thundersticks melee capabilities and they will become much more dependent on dazing their foes and letting other units push the front line forward.
Other: Comes in two flavors, Shock attack (Shocks on attack,) and Shock counter (Shocks on counter attack, with a minimum counter attack accuracy of 50%.)

Ability name: Bloodlust.
Ability type: Unit power, End of combat.
Ability effect: Every time this unit fights, it regains two hitpoints, plus one for every blow that makes contact in combat (including hits on itself.)
Association: Units that like fighting and killing, regardless of who gets hurt. Generic psychopathic villains. Things that like blood???
Example: Berserkers, Enough said.
Incorporation balancing: If the berserkers were adjusted to have worse defense ratings on villages and castles the bonus healing they would get fighting would be canceled out from them becoming less capable of holding their ground, and much more disposable in general.
Additional resources: Zill.
Other: Obsessive and Normal variants. More intelligent bloodlusters would have Obsessive bloodlust, and an extra +1 health for repeated combats with a specific foe. The difference would be negligible, as the odds of this spiraling out of control would be very small indeed.

Ability name: Bait(Melee)/Reflexes(Ranged.)
Ability type: Attack ability.
Ability effect: This attack can counter all enemy attacks with its strike count cut in half, with a +10% counter attack accuracy bonus against attacks of the same type.
Association: Melee: Cunning, A clever target who could force a shooter to draw a little too close to get a good shot. Ranged: Fast reflexes, People who could keep shooting in the middle of a chaotic situation. Generally adaptive people who would be expected to be excellent at survival.
Example: Empowered Myths Vampire Duelist could be justified in having bait. He is a man who: 1. Is immortal. 2. Has mastered swordfighting. 3. Generally has to hide from the SUN. 4. Wants to suck your blood. He has all the skills needed to lure some silly archers close enough to get a bite out of them.
Incorporation balancing: His sword counter attack would swing less and hit more in some situations, yes, but he would overall do less damage with it. His fangs would usually better against units of his type, but he could be expected to do some damage on the defensive against archers, in the least.
Additional resources: Zilch.
Other: One shot abilities are not effected by this skill.

Ability name: Burned by sun.
Ability type: Passive Unit.
Ability effect: The units weaknesses are twice as strong during the day, and its resistances half as strong, and the unit receives +10% to all resistances during the night.
Association: Units that are.... Burned by sunlight.
Example: All vampires, except the day hunter.
Incorporation balancing: The units would need to be given better base resistances to help cope with the large changes. Overall, they would be much more dependent on the day night cycle then anyone else. The factions may require some power to combat this effect.
Additional resources: Natta.
Other: The units with this ability would be harder to use in many scenarios.

Ability name: Cloak of shadows.
Ability type: Unit. Area.
Ability effect: It blocks out day, and lets in night for all adjacent units. The tiles surrounding this unit use nighttime sprites. It is essentially a weaker version of illuminate.
Association: Certain factions chaotic leader units, Units that block the sun, Sauron.
Other: This ability does not effectively mean that it is always night in these spaces, during the day the day cycles bonuses are nullified in the effected spaces, during the night night bonuses are correctly applied. A self only version exists as well.
Example: Vampire Nobles, and level 3 vampires would have the self version (Sans twilight walkers.) Vampire sires and higher would have the area version.
Incorporation balancing: It would allow vampires to fight back against their weakness.
Additional resources: Uhh. None?

Otherwise, have fun with your ability ideas. In the case that this belongs in another forum, see you there!
Dugi

Re: [UMC Rescources] New Unit Abilitys (Potential Megathread

Post by Dugi »

Well, I'll post about weapon specials and abilities I have made, but I will not describe them as deeply as you did (I hope the ability descriptions say enough), because there is quite a few of them. The're all in my add-on named RPG AMLA Era, and some of them are also from my campaign, some of them are only in my campaign. They more mostly gained from higher advancements, not just possessed by the unit from the start.

Boodlust (Orcish Warlord): Like leadership, but will add charge to all adjacent orcs.
Spoiler:
Bloodthirst (Goblins): After the unit kills a unit, it will be slowed, but will be allowed to attack and move as if its turn just begun.
Spoiler:
Horror (Some melee fighters): Target's retaliation damage is reduced by 50%.
Spoiler:
Horror Leadership (Drake Flameheart): Gives horror to adjacent drakish allies.
Spoiler:
Toxify (Ghast): Permanent Poison (I however decided to give this dreadful attack to nothing).
Spoiler:
Poison Aura (Ghast): All adjacent undead allies will gain the poison weapon special.
Spoiler:
Leech (a leader's unique ability): Will heal 1/4 of the damage inflicted, draining also undead.
Spoiler:
Chillwave (Ancient Lich): Will slow the enemy, and also all non-allied units next to it.
Spoiler:
Whirlwind (Master at Arms): Will hit all adjacent enemies with the weapon for the same damage as the target.
Spoiler:
Greater Backstab (Assassin): Like backstab, but deals triple or quadruple damage.
Spoiler:
Explosive (Great Mage): Will hit all enemies adjacent to the target.
Spoiler:
Penetration (leaders): You gain 1 movement after attacking.
Spoiler:
Optimised feeding (leaders): Similar to feeding, but does not increase the size of save files so much if you gain 200 maximum hp like that. It can also devour undead (I decided so recently).
Spoiler:
Darkens/Dark Light (Necomancer): Like illumination, but produces darkness instead.
Spoiler:
Inspire Frenzy (Berserker): All adjacent allied dwarves gain melee berserk.
Spoiler:
Mind Raid (Saurian mages): Will drain an amount of exp proportional to damage and it will be added into the attacker's exp bar.
Spoiler:
Shockwave (some tough melee fighters): All units adjacent to the target will be knocked away from it and slowed.
Spoiler:
Disintegrate (a possible weapon upgrade): 5% chance to kill regardless of the unit's hp
Spoiler:
Focused, Guided (Elvish Sharpshooters): Chance to hit 80% and 90% respectively.
Spoiler:
Lavaflow (can be used only once per scenario): The attack will transform the terrain under the unit and also a few tiles behind it into lava, dealing damage to everything that stood on it.
Spoiler:
The post cannot be any longer, there are more abilities in a post later in this topic.
Last edited by Dugi on May 21st, 2012, 11:28 am, edited 11 times in total.
taptap

Post by taptap »

There are plenty of abilities available in quite common campaigns.

Era of Four Moons has what you call shock as a weapons ability, with a 15% reduction of defense it is a ranged attack wielded by the witch doctor.

FoaP has an ability that reduces enemy retail strikes by one (but leaves at least one strike).

Dead Water has a weapons ability (stun) that disturbs an opponents ZoC for one turn.

The Elvish Ghosts in IftU have intimidate (Level difference * 15% + 15% attack reduction) ability, kind of anti-leadership for enemy units.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Uh... whoa. Back the train up a bit. I think you a step.

Do we even need or want to include a bunch of unused abilities in mainline? They're not like artwork. They're dirt simple and anyone who can make a complete UMC can make an ability. There're also tricks to transfer them over the network if necessary.
Roraborialis

Post by Roraborialis »

Gambit wrote:Uh... whoa. Back the train up a bit. I think you a step.

Do we even need or want to include a bunch of unused abilities in mainline? They're not like artwork. They're dirt simple and anyone who can make a complete UMC can make an ability. There're also tricks to transfer them over the network if necessary.
Then why dont we take this thread out of the ideas section, and put it in a thread where it could be expected to be used for inspiration by the creators of UMC, instead of cluttering somewhere it doesn't belong. :lol2:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

UMC creators usually lack skills or engine features rather than ideas, though.

(Someone else should figure out what to do with this topic, I’m lazy at the moment.)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Roraborialis

Post by Roraborialis »

shadowmaster wrote:UMC creators usually lack skills or engine features rather than ideas, though.

(Someone else should figure out what to do with this topic, I’m lazy at the moment.)
Very true. I would fit into that category if I suddenly jumped into UMC, only having very limited spiriting experience. Still, Wouldn't a thread for cataloging ability ideas (probably in the factions development, now that I think of it) be nice for people who do lack the necessary talents to get up and make their own content?
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

A catalog of actual code would be valuable. Ideas are just about worthless.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Roraborialis wrote:Still, Wouldn't a thread for cataloging ability ideas (probably in the factions development, now that I think of it) be nice for people who do lack the necessary talents to get up and make their own content?
What purpose would that serve though? :hmm: Like Gambit said, ideas are worth far, far less than actual code. There are so many more ideas floating around then there are actual implementations (or even attempts at implementations...).

Now if you can get people to actually submit the code for a new and interesting ability, you could always add it to this wiki page. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Roraborialis

Post by Roraborialis »

Huh. Yeah. I guess so. The only way this would do any good is if it drew the attention of an actual coder, then we could actually draw up basic versions of the effects. Similar thread for actually getting things coded may appear in factions if I make such a partnership, but It will be far more helpful then this, at least. I can imagine that the idea overload here is quite hefty, so I offer you no more trouble. :P
Ps. I am really glad the Devs take an active part in this forum, you dont quite know how reassuring it is to actually be able to get an opinion from the dev team on things like this.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Roraborialis wrote:The only way this would do any good is if it drew the attention of an actual coder
...Or, if you learn to code WML yourself! It is pretty easy for a computer language. People who already know WML all started out as people with ideas they wanted to work on, so they are probably too busy to work on yours. If you actually attempt to code one of these for a faction or scenario, you can will get help to finish it up or get it working in the WML Workshop forum.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Roraborialis

Post by Roraborialis »

beetlenaut wrote:
Roraborialis wrote:The only way this would do any good is if it drew the attention of an actual coder
...Or, if you learn to code WML yourself! It is pretty easy for a computer language. People who already know WML all started out as people with ideas they wanted to work on, so they are probably too busy to work on yours. If you actually attempt to code one of these for a faction or scenario, you can will get help to finish it up or get it working in the WML Workshop forum.
Ehh. Could be good. Pretty daunting, but likely a good idea.
Edit: It IS rather intuitive. Now I have a thread in the workshop that will be updated with silly questions as I get them. Lock me up scotty, wont be hearing many new things from me until I have enough work down for it to be considered a complete and working era with new and interesting abilities.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Here's one,
Cleave: On a melee attack, whatever hits the target will also hit enemies in the two hexes that are adjacent to both the attacker and defender, in a crescent moon shape, for 50% of the original damage. Used for units with a large melee weapon like a broadsword or great axe.
Fate is against me.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Gambit wrote:A catalog of actual code would be valuable. Ideas are just about worthless.
Hell, all the abilities I listed in my previous post are coded and working, just nobody asked me to add the code.
I have added the WML code for a part of them now.

And about this topic, I think it should be pinned in WML workshop, once it gets pruned and the codes are added.
Ninjuri wrote:Here's one,
Cleave: On a melee attack, whatever hits the target will also hit enemies in the two hexes that are adjacent to both the attacker and defender, in a crescent moon shape, for 50% of the original damage. Used for units with a large melee weapon like a broadsword or great axe.
The code would be like this:
Spoiler:
TheBladeRoden

Post by TheBladeRoden »

Hit and Run: Attacks only use 1 move point instead of all of them, allowing you to move again after attacking.
Spoiler:
Latestrike: This attack always strikes second, even when attacking.
Spoiler:
Drill: (marching drill, not a tool drill) A unit with this ability gives +1 moves to adjacent friendly units at the beginning of its turn.
Spoiler:

Water Only: Attacks with this special can only hit units on a water tile. Useful if you want boats ramming into each other, but not into some bloke standing on the beach.
Spoiler:
Founding Father of Columbia