Ability to ring players

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
BasiC

Ability to ring players

Post by BasiC »

We need the ability to rin ga player in the game room or in game every say 30 seconds...Sometimes people go afk or alt tab and forget they are playing or in a room, a ring would help to solve this issue.
Dugi

Re: Ability to ring players

Post by Dugi »

I think there is something like that in the game. It happened to me once that a small notification appeared on my screen telling me that it's my turn, but it happened to me only once and I am not sure how does that work.

I am using 1.10.1 on Linux Ubuntu 11.10 32-bit.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

It's called "turn bell" or "turn notification". If you activate it in your settings, you get a notification on your screen (if Wesnoth does not have focus) and a bell (whether or not Wesnoth is focused, I think) once your turn starts – if you did not pause the game by opening some dialog or menu.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
BasiC

Post by BasiC »

Yeah i know about it but its pretty worthless..
We need an ability to ring a player in game and in a room...
It should be limited to like a ring every x amount of time so people dont troll with it.
Iv seen it in other games and it works great....

Wesnoth devs any comments here?? any chance we might get it?
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

There are notifications which can be sent (depending on the settings) on private messages, your turn start and other events through my desktop's notification system. I don't know whether these are available on Windows and Mac or other Linux DE's, though.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Crendgrim wrote:There are notifications which can be sent (depending on the settings) on private messages, your turn start and other events through my desktop's notification system. I don't know whether these are available on Windows and Mac or other Linux DE's, though.
They are only available on systems supporting and using D-Bus message notifications, which obviously excludes Windows right now. Mac OS X is probably also ruled out.
BasiC wrote:Wesnoth devs any comments here?? any chance we might get it?
Patches welcome. As far as I know, there’s absolutely no-one active anymore who knows well the MP server code, and if you are going to implement some kind of time-limit to mitigate abuse you will certainly have to work within the MP server framework. That said, it is no small undertaking.

Not to mention that I’d be highly likely to want and use a mechanism to disable it to prevent being bothered at inopportune times myself. I often play entirely without sound for the same reason.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

shadowmaster wrote:
Crendgrim wrote:There are notifications which can be sent (depending on the settings) on private messages, your turn start and other events through my desktop's notification system. I don't know whether these are available on Windows and Mac or other Linux DE's, though.
They are only available on systems supporting and using D-Bus message notifications, which obviously excludes Windows right now, and probably also Mac OS X.
Wesnoth on OS X uses Growl rather than D-Bus, but it's fundamentally the same thing.