[interface?] Better Campaign Competion Symbol

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: [interface?] Better Campaign Competion Symbol

Post by Gambit »

Ideally this could be done per campaign with WML as the number of difficulty levels are not constant. It'd also allow for custom images per campaign.

But I don't think that's currently possible.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

@Dugi: Perhaps varying symbols could be used:

Easy - A simple sort of sigil or rune
Normal - A lightly detailed rune
Hard - A heavily detailed rune
Nightmare - Rune same as hard, but emanating an aura.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
novotny

Post by novotny »

as previously mentioned, the problem with having a set, gold vs silver vs bronze, for a particular difficulty setting, is that the names differ as do the number of difficulties.

The idea of the wreath should stay when choosing a campaign, but the addition of a symbol next to the difficulty completed, when choosing a difficulty, should be the way to go. The symbol does not have to change, even color wise. It just needs to be "turned on" next to the appropriate difficulty upon completing.

The wreath 'turns on' after completing a campaign. The coding can't be much different to implement a symbol to the difficulty itself. Would it?

But it seems the majority of those that have posted want this gold/silver/bronze. I just think that it might be too difficult to organize it based on the first two things i said in this post. the simpler symbol "on" seems easier..to me. although i have no coding experience.
trewe
Translator

Post by trewe »

novotny wrote:The idea of the wreath should stay when choosing a campaign, but the addition of a symbol next to the difficulty completed, when choosing a difficulty, should be the way to go. The symbol does not have to change, even color wise. It just needs to be "turned on" next to the appropriate difficulty upon completing.
Support.
I don' like this bronze-silver-gold stuff either.

Another problem, how should the new feature be handled, with changing difficulties mid-campaign? Surely a campaign started as hard but finished in easy should not receive laurels at the hardest level.
lipk

Post by lipk »

Another problem, how should the new feature be handled, with changing difficulties mid-campaign? Surely a campaign started as hard but finished in easy should not receive laurels at the hardest level.
I think if it ever gets implemented, the difficulty will be determined on the basis of the last scenario. So you'll be able to go through the campaign on easy and switch to hard before the last level and then get the gold laurel or whatever. Cheaters can already cheat in a thousand ways in this game; if it's a golden laurel that makes them happy, we don't want to ruin their fun. It doesn't make any harm and they don't fool anybody but themselves.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

lipk wrote:Cheaters can already cheat in a thousand ways in this game; if it's a golden laurel that makes them happy, we don't want to ruin their fun. It doesn't make any harm and they don't fool anybody but themselves.
Uh, and all the friends I invite over to dazzle with my display of Wesnothian golden laurel wreaths. Booyaa, suckers, you'll never know...
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Do you knowhow easy it is to add these laurels? It takes less than a minute if you know what to do. That is much easier than completing it on easy and changing it to hard in the last scenario. Learning how to do it takes shorter than completing an average scenario.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Wesnoth has always taken the stance of not caring about single player cheating. People are free to play the game in whatever way is most enjoyable to them. Let's get back to the original discussion.
novotny

Post by novotny »

if anything can be or needs to be accomplished to help increase the odds of implementation, that would be good to know. as i think everyone thinks its not a bad idea, just one that doesnt have a concrete consensus yet.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

novotny wrote:if anything can be or needs to be accomplished to help increase the odds of implementation...
One word: artwork.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Deciton_Reven

Post by Deciton_Reven »

beetlenaut wrote:
novotny wrote:if anything can be or needs to be accomplished to help increase the odds of implementation...
One word: artwork.
That's only if a color tier is introduced to the reef. If the reef is instead added to the difficulty select screen no new artwork should have to be made, and more than four difficulties would be supported for those UMC authors that might need it (or those that use odd difficulty names like, Dude, Cool Guy, and Like a Boss).

Unless I missed where the color tier system was pseudo-confirmed, and the difficulty system was said no to.