[interface] End turn button

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
rmj

[interface] End turn button

Post by rmj »

This is a minor annoyance: the end turn button is at the very bottom of the screen. As a result it happens too often that after clicking the button the mouse cursor ends up slightly lower than the button and thus causes the map to move down. Thus I get a bouncing where the game focuses on an active unit, then drops down because the cursor is below the bottom, then moves back up etc. How about moving this button up about a quarter of an inch?

And I do know that I can turn off this movement by the preferences menu.

Skoal!
rmj
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: End turn button

Post by ancestral »

I would say actually to make the button area extend all the way to the bottom right corner of the screen (even though technically the button isn’t drawn all the way to the edge). Smart UIs do this. See Fitts’s law.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

ancestral wrote:I would say actually to make the button area extend all the way to the bottom right corner of the screen (even though technically the button isn’t drawn all the way to the edge). Smart UIs do this. See Fitts’s law.
+1

Windows start button for example. it's always easy to quickly move the mouse pointer to it and click on it, since you just have to get the mouse to the bottom-left corner of the screen; you don't even have to look at what you're doing to click on it. Also note that the Vista/Win7 start button itself doesn't actually extend all the way to the edge of the screen, (the circle is a little bit off to the right) but the clickable area does. It would be good for the End Turn button to function the same way.
CherryDelight

Post by CherryDelight »

...I just press Ctrl+Space...
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

That’s not really helpful for those who don’t know or want to use keyboard shortcuts in general.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
CherryDelight

Post by CherryDelight »

shadowmaster wrote:That’s not really helpful for those who don’t know or want to use keyboard shortcuts in general.
Yeah, you're probably right. I'm just biased—I play on a netbook, and do everything humanly possible to avoid using my trackpad. :roll:
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: [interface] End turn button

Post by Gambit »

I'll look into this in 1.11.