[engine] Friendly Unit Cell "Swap"

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Solikos

[engine] Friendly Unit Cell "Swap"

Post by Solikos »

Several times I've wished that I could swap the positions of 2 units standing adjacent to each other that should technically be able to change spots (each expending one movement point), but due to factors such as ZOC (Zone of Control), they are unable to.

Typically the situation is that I've got one unit that has been surrounded (and heavily damaged) by several enemies. I have an adjacent unit that may be more heavily armored or currently have higher health, but due to the ZOC I can't get them to switch positions, even though they both technically only need to move one cell (to which the other is currently occupying).

I've attached an image to help illustrate the situation:

In this example, I'd want to change the positions of the unit with 40 hit points and the unit with 100 hit points. This would allow the 100 hp unit to act as a meat shield, and only allow 2 (possibly 3) attacks against my 40 hp unit.

HOWEVER

- There is only one movement option for the 40hp unit, which is currently BLOCKED by the 100hp unit.
- The ideal final resting point of the 100hp unit at the end of the turn is currently BLOCKED by the 40 hp unit.
- If I move the 100hp unit back a space (giving the 40hp unit space to retreat a single cell), then the 100hp unit has WASTED his chance to move further into the ZOC and can therefore no longer replace the 40hp unit's previous location (and thus serve as a meat shield).

Technically, it seems like I should be able to do this, expending the movement totals for both units.

I'm proposing there be an ability to "swap" (or simultaneously move) units that are adjacent in ZOC situations. This would be a life-saving feature in many circumstances.

I hope this makes sense (and is in the realm of possibility).

Thanks!

Edit: Er, found a repeat post regarding this, but it's 5 years old... There are some arguments against this, (getting AI to use it) - I don't know how AI works, so I can't weigh in there... However, I think the other arguments are not well made - this is a movement that should technically be possible, and adds flexibility to ZOC conditions (enabling interesting defensive maneuvers). Also to clarify: I do not suggest allowing swapping with allies, only with one's own units.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Re: [engine] Friendly Unit Cell "Swap"

Post by Blarumyrran »

I don't think any gameplay changes of this magnitude have been accepted for some 5 years, so by all chances this one won't be either
Solikos

Post by Solikos »

Blarumyrran wrote:I don't think any gameplay changes of this magnitude have been accepted for some 5 years, so by all chances this one won't be either
Good to know! I'll try to redirect my creative juices toward my own campaigns.
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

Wow, you don't fight! I like you.
Timshel
Kolbur

Post by Kolbur »

Skirmish units can do that already btw. :wink:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Kolbur wrote:Skirmish units can do that already btw. :wink:
Only if they have enough MP left.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Solikos wrote:Several times I've wished that I could swap the positions of 2 units standing adjacent to each other that should technically be able to change spots (each expending one movement point), but due to factors such as ZOC (Zone of Control), they are unable to.
This, in my opinion, is part of the tactical difficulty of the game - ZoC provides a tactical problem because you can't get that guy straight out of there. Do you leave him there to die, find a lurking Skirmisher, or try and kill one of the enemies to let him escape?
EDIT: learn to finish sentences
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Btw it should be rather easy to create a non-download-requiring era modifying the default one which adds such a feature via a right-click menu and some storing/unstoring units process. Do it yourself! 8) :eng: :mrgreen:
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Anonymissimus wrote:Btw it should be rather easy to create a non-download-requiring era modifying the default one which adds such a feature via a right-click menu and some storing/unstoring units process. Do it yourself! 8) :eng: :mrgreen:
And most of the code has already been written, too.
Solikos

Post by Solikos »

Reepurr wrote:This, in my opinion, is part of the tactical difficulty of the game - ZoC provides a tactical problem because you can't get that guy straight out of there. Do you leave him there to die, find a lurking Skirmisher, or try and kill one of the enemies to let him escape?
EDIT: learn to finish sentences
Right, but regardless of virtually any content, it still presents a "tactical problem" (defensively or offensively). Also, was that edit directed at me? If so, perhaps you should learn to punctuate properly before giving such tips!

Thanks for the link. Once I am more experienced with coding WML I'll likely take a whack at implementing this into my own campaign(s).

Again, just putting an idea out there. However, as mentioned above I'll put a lid on it... It appears there have already been gobs of ideas, and nothing worth running with in quite awhile.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Solikos wrote:Also, was that edit directed at me? If so, perhaps you should learn to punctuate properly before giving such tips!
That was aimed at myself, I accidentally pressed "Submit" halfway through the post...
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Anyone know the reason that this had been denied from mainline in the past? My search-voodoo isn't working, and I'd like to add this to the FPI list.
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

Jeez, I thought it was in the FPI list. :hmm:
I think the devs say it complicates the game...
Timshel
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I think the reasons were that:

1. It lessens the value of ZoC, and changes a key strategy point of the game

2. It would have made fighting in narrow corridors more of a standstill

3. It would be an element that human players would have over ai (for single player mode)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well