[interface] Allow unit renaming from recall list

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
vodot

[interface] Allow unit renaming from recall list

Post by vodot »

Via button (ala "dismiss unit") or preferably via traditional slow double-click.
Last edited by vodot on November 7th, 2011, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Insinuator

Re: [interface] Allow unit renaming from recall list

Post by Insinuator »

Why? You can rename them after you recall them.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

What if you want to rename a unit that you're not planning to recall right now? I don't see any reason other than possible technical ones (GUI stuff apparently is on hold awaiting the new GUI system) not to do this.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Caphriel wrote:What if you want to rename a unit that you're not planning to recall right now?
Why?
Colouredbox

Post by Colouredbox »

Insinuator wrote:
Caphriel wrote:What if you want to rename a unit that you're not planning to recall right now?
Why?
Because you've come up with a witty name, but you don't trust your memory to rename the unit later.
Waiting for cheesedwarfs to be added to ageless.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Because you want to rename some units as 'Keep' before you go on a dismissing spree, or 'save for scen 8', or because you want to flag troops as loyal, quick, strong etc. while they're all listed in neat sortable columns in one place?

fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Simons Mith wrote:Because you want to rename some units as 'Keep' before you go on a dismissing spree, or 'save for scen 8', or because you want to flag troops as loyal, quick, strong etc. while they're all listed in neat sortable columns in one place?
Somehow that mis-usage of a unit's name disturbs me.
I hope my boss will never rename me to "Fabi -- Keep because cheap".
Wouldn't be an extra notes field better to add such comments?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

It would do the same thing essentially, but it would take more time to get at depending on how many units you have to go through and how many custom eras you have installed.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

fabi wrote:Wouldn't be an extra notes field better to add such comments?
Even better if the note would pop up above the unit when you hovered over it. (At the cursor instead of over on the sidebar.)
Pentarctagon wrote:It would do the same thing essentially, but it would take more time to get at
It wouldn't have to--it just depends on the interface.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Colouredbox wrote:Because you've come up with a witty name, but you don't trust your memory to rename the unit later.
You mean a second later, after you click the Recall button? What are we, goldfish? :lol2:
Simons Mith wrote:Because you want to rename some units as 'Keep' before you go on a dismissing spree, or 'save for scen 8', or because you want to flag troops as loyal, quick, strong etc. while they're all listed in neat sortable columns in one place?
Traits are already shown in the Recall list. It would take more time to rename the units, then name them back again after you recalled them, than to just be careful when you dismiss.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Insinuator wrote:
Colouredbox wrote:Because you've come up with a witty name, but you don't trust your memory to rename the unit later.
You mean a second later, after you click the Recall button? What are we, goldfish? :lol2:
You're still ignoring the case where the player wants to rename a unit they're not planning to recall immediately. You asked why, you got some answers. Or maybe you forgot because you're a goldfish? :P
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Insinuator wrote:Traits are already shown in the Recall list. It would take more time to rename the units, then name them back again after you recalled them, than to just be careful when you dismiss.
And who said you had to rename them afterwards? I, for one, wouldn't overly care to play with a spearman named "Keep for Scen 8", or something like that. When do you really look at unit names, anyway? :P
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Coffee
Inactive Developer

Post by Coffee »

Why dismiss interesting/unique/powerful units from recall anyway? They don't cost anything and you should always keep your good units in recall.
vodot

Post by vodot »

Honestly, I only want this for flavor- although I'm impressed that other people have come up with more practical reasons as well. I like naming units; to track kills/events, and just for fun. I'm not saying it's everyone's cup of tea, but it is mine. :) Since it's for flavor only, I'm only suggesting it because it seems awfully simple to implement and has zero impact on mechanics.

Of course, I would prefer a between-scenario "strategy" view that shows an overview of the campaign map, the highlights of past scenarios, campaign statistics, allows saves, and allows the player to manage their current roster and spend gold to augment traits and stats... but one thing at a time. :)

EDIT: Obviously: The second paragraph of this post is not a feature request.