TRUE RNG vs Pseudo-random RNG

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Researcher

TRUE RNG vs Pseudo-random RNG

Post by Researcher »

Please, read the article at RANDOM.ORG before discussing.
Here is the link: http://www.random.org/randomness/
This article states that TRNG is better for games and gambling.
As of today, RANDOM.ORG has generated 1,002 billion random bits for the Internet community.
Why not use it for BfW?
Caphriel

Re: TRUE RNG vs Pseudo-random RNG

Post by Caphriel »

You realize that's their advertising copy you linked, basically, and that for most purposes PRNG is sufficiently random, right? You are suggesting that even playing Wesnoth offline (single player or hotseat)require an active internet connection. This is a bad idea for reasons that should be obvious.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Researcher wrote:Why not use it for BfW?
As long as no one manages to present a good argument for why it should be used for BfW, trying to explain why it isn't seems fairly pointless.
TheCricket

Post by TheCricket »

Caphriel wrote:You are suggesting that even playing Wesnoth offline (single player or hotseat)require an active internet connection. This is a bad idea for reasons that should be obvious.
I think he's suggesting that Wesnoth Inc begin manufacturing small USB devices with radioactive material inside, and sell them to those of us who are fed up with how unrandom rand() really is.

I, for one, think it's a brilliant idea.
My boy, do not trust those who promise to make you rich overnight. They are usually either mad or charlatans! Heed my words, and turn back
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Rules for Ideas Forum
Rules for Ideas Forum wrote:Ideas should be posted in a manner that clearly outlines the problem (as seen by the user) and the proposed solution, along with significant reasoning being made as to why the idea would be viable for acceptance.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

OOPS... :doh: :doh: :doh:
I forgot to say that it is meant to be used for online multiplayer games.
However, if you have Internet connection and play campaigns, it would be nice to be able to turn it on :geek:

P.S. WHY ? Because it would be nice to have a feeling that the hit/miss rate is not determined (pseudo-random is)
Last edited by Pentarctagon on July 6th, 2011, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: you don't need to make your text larger
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Why is it an improvement to gameplay though? Are the pseudo-random numbers not random enough? Can you reliably demonstrate this?
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Before you answer Gambit's question, I suggest doing some significant research into the topic. This thread is a recent discussion that includes some evidence that the PRNG is, in fact, sufficiently random. Additionally, use the search feature to poke around for other recent threads on the RNG. Finally, make sure you understand probability and statistics, as well as pseudo-random number generation, sufficiently well to argue your point. Discussions of the RNG in Wesnoth tend to derail and get locked pretty quickly.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

OK, I think I am ready to answer to Gambit's question.
Why is it an improvement to gameplay though? Are the pseudo-random numbers not random enough? Can you reliably demonstrate this?
First of all, I would like to say that implementation of the TRNG is pretty easy.
You wouldn't need USB radioactive stick or something - just a working Internet connection with RANDOM.ORG or another TRNG server.

So, the short form of Gambit's question is:
Pseudo-random RNG used in BfW is pretty random! WHY IMPLEMENT TRNG ?
Well, since pseudo-random RNG is pretty random, I admit that statistics of PRNG has a very small deviation from the statistics of TRNG,
and that deviation can't be noticed by a usual player - only by a hardcore mathematician who collects a quite huge statistics on PRNG rolls.

But it is not a question about statistics.
Even if PRNG would be ideal, TRNG still has a VERY big advantage over PRNG.

So, what is the advantage?

The answer is...

SPIRITUALITY

Values generated by TRNG determined by the will of God,
values generated by PRNG determined by the will of machine.

Do you feel the difference ???

You know, a lot of humans don't believe at God at all.
But the ability to turn on the TRNG mode would be awesome for those who believe!
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Researcher wrote:
Values generated by TRNG determined by the will of God,
values generated by PRNG determined by the will of machine.

Do you feel the difference ???

You know, a lot of humans don't believe at God at all.
But the ability to turn on the TRNG mode would be awesome for those who believe!
:lol2:
Ok...wait... :lol2:
That post made my day.
/thread

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

ummm... ok... so you want TRNG to see if God likes you and gives you good outcome...? Seriously man, I don't know in which God you believe but most religions state that God loves every single human being. But anyway, I wanted to get one thing straight- do you believe that Wensoth RNG is not random enough? If that's the case, then you are probably the first person to say that (contrary to dozens of randomness haters). Just imagine the flood of "I hate Wesnoth" threads.
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Ah okay. I see now.

I really like the idea now. His Noodlyness would surely let me win every game then. (Though I don't quite understand why, being all powerful and what-not, he just doesn't manipulate the pseudo-random-number-generator for me already… :lol2: )

But as much as I personally like the idea, it would give us religious people a HUGE unfair advantage, and that's probably an unwanted feature. Locked.

edit: It was remiss of me not to inform you that the Experimental Fork of Wesnoth does allow you to code custom RNGs and then lets users pick which one they want via a dropdown menu.