campaign selection menu

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
battlestar

campaign selection menu

Post by battlestar »

It's a nice touch to automatically remove a campaign from the list if the codes produce an error. On the other hand, it would be nice to disable this feature when debugging mode is activated. I feel this would be especially helpful when a complicated scn wml is being written, so it would not require restarting the game every time a small syntax error has been missed.
LUA: Llama Under Apprenticeship
Hell faction: completed
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: campaign selection menu

Post by zookeeper »

So when you get a WML error on startup, your campaign doesn't appear in the campaign list? I'm pretty sure that happens only because it's not really possible to recover from such an error, so rather than quitting the whole game, it just forgets it ever saw that add-on.
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Yeah, stuff like missing a bracket, gives an error then forgets about the add-on. So basically the game can't recover the add-on's path when such an error occur?
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

zookeeper wrote:I'm pretty sure that happens only because it's not really possible to recover from such an error, so rather than quitting the whole game, it just forgets it ever saw that add-on.
He's referring to "the following addon had errors and could not be loaded...macro/file xy is missing at..." errors, in which case that addon is removed from the selectable list. Now, editing the problem and then pressing F5 should be sufficient to get the next chance of launching the addon. Does it not reappear after F5 ? (Why don't I know this ??)
You may file a feature request, it guess this is not very difficult to implement.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Huh, F5 does exactly it. Are there other useful hotkeys like these? Perhaps this hot key could be added in the Hotkey settings in preference for easier access?
Zaroth
Inactive Developer

Post by Zaroth »

It is currently explicitly set as hidden in the hotkeys.cpp file (and the hotkey itself was added in 1.9 line). In fact, it is the only functional hotkey with this flag set (there is also null hotkey, but it is there for other reasons). I guess it is set as such to avoid confusing non-advanced users, who only want to play, not to debug WML.
But keep in mind that full and current list of hotkeys can be always found in the Wesnoth manual. :eng:
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Zaroth wrote:(and the hotkey itself was added in 1.9 line).
To the gui2 titlescreen, but gui1 titlescreen did always have it (as far as my memory reaches back...). So not a change from the wml author perspective.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Thanks for the manual link, I like it.